Novice's thoughts on hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of rebuilding my first New Departure hub. I previously rebuilt a Musselman hub, which was the first coaster brake I ever rebuilt.

I just have to say the difference is remarkable. I see why people like the New Departure so much. It is a much superior design.

Expanding designs like the Musselman, which push out to rub the inside of the hub shell are just like drum brakes. But the New Departure is more like the clutch pack on a motorcycle.

I just love the idea of the New Departure. Clearly the little brass or bronze plates were intended to wear out, and be replaced, extending the life of the hub indefinitely. Where as the expanding units weaken and wear out the hub shell eventually.

Probably didn't say anything here that most of you don't already know, but I am having a great time learning about these old bikes.

Cheers,
L.S.

I rebuilt my first Bendix hub in the '60's when I was a kid. I didn't think much of it because, well, I was a kid...and I took it apart, and I had better put it back together or I was going to be walking. We'll fast-forward to this past winter when I rebuilt my first New Departure hub, and I was giddy...sort of how you feel now, I guess. Good job.

So, I'm guessing you either have an old Bendix coaster or a red band auto type. I have only seen alternating brass and steel clutch plates on a red band auto. The Bendix coaster hubs I predominantly work on have the expanding mechanism and shoes. New Departure model D coaster hubs have clutch plates as well.And, yeah, they do wear out. :wink:

Yep its a New Departure hub, not Bendix... not sure why I got that confused. I went back and edited the post to correct it.

Lucky Strike said:
Yep its a New Departure hub, not Bendix... not sure why I got that confused. I went back and edited the post to correct it.

Thought so. :wink:
I have disassembled and re assembled both ND and Bendix hubs. I prefer the Bendix design, but either one is a masterpiece of simple engineering. Think of it- clutch, brake, and freewheel all executed with fewer than a dozen parts. Not only that, a coaster brake is just about as durable an item as anyone has ever made. I mean- how many people have actually worn out a coaster brake?

JWM

I like the disc pac design because of the stronger braking, however I do notice some drag in this design when coasting ( on the work stand, no load ). I like the expanding brake design because it freewheels better and is a lot easier to service.

clamdigger said:
I like the disc pac design... however I do notice some drag in this design when coasting ( on the work stand, no load ). I like the expanding brake design because it freewheels better...

I am reaching the same conclusion. Anybody care to differ? Has anybody out there built a ND that is not "draggy"?

MagicRat said:
Try backing off the bearing pre-load a little. (just a tic)

I feel certain that the failure of cheap modern hubs can be traced (along w/ poor or no lube :roll: ) to excessive loading on the bearings. I almost always leave slightly discernible play on coaster hubs. Not loose enough to "clunk", but you can see the drive move a hair at the hub if you push the wheel to the side. It's easier to pedal or roll, and seems to me to handle dirtiness a little better. Been doing it that way for decades without any perceived negative effect.

Back