Notching or Denting fenders for clearance

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Needing to create clearance on a front fender which I am using on a monark springer. I need to make indentions on each side of the fender to clear the front strut so it doesn't rub the fender. I'd rather not cut it unless I have to. Just wondered what you guys have done in similar situations.

pick, I've used this technique before.

Bolt a wooden broom handle to a scrap 1x6
Place the area to be dented over the handle
Use a rubber mallet or hand pressure to bend the fender over the handle

Good luck!
Cheers,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been a long time ago but I think this is how I did it and I think I had good results :)
I cut 2 slices off of a limb/log that fit inside the fender to hold it's shape. Placed the 2 slices inside the fender on each side of where I wanted the indention and then squeezed the fender between the 2 log slices with a clamp.
Hope that makes since.

If it is a tight bend you are looking for and have no experience with a set of body hammers, shoes, shot bag.
Do the wood form technique, I got cocky as I'd been around a true auto body guy, and creased a perfectly good fender....

Thanks Tim! I already made a crude version of that with a piece of wood & a broom handle. Didn't do as clean of a job, but hey, it's a rat! Thanks for the offer.

Back