not sure about buying cycle truck..opinions??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was riding in the country today and my head snapped to the side of a garage.where i saw an unmistakable cycle truck from the road.. i pulled inn and asked an old lady if she would sell it..she said 50 bucks..now the condition is rough..im not familiar with cycle trucks and so this is why i need your opinion as to wether or not this is a good buy..it has been painted,rims and all copper as it was a lawn ornament. it has a child seat welded to the frame towards the front of the bars and a footrest welded to the lower steertube for the kid to rest his legs.the rear fender has the ducktail eaten off but the front is good.. both wheels are straight. the wheels are the s2..it has an old original basket on it and has a bendix rear hub..what years were these produced and is it worth my time to buy? i would most likely be trying to resell it after i fix it up to make a profit..thats my main interest in the bike.any opinions on it would be a great help..thanks

They generally are collectible. This one sounds like it would need some work, but it would be fun to have

Very good value at $50.... especially with the basket, and center stand.

thanks for the input guys..at 50 i was leaning towards getting it but just wanted a second thought..i think ill get it.like you said i can always part it and make a bit more than what i spent and thats my whole idea for this bike anyways..thanks

Give her the $50 and buy her some flowers too for giving you such a good deal!! That's a bargain at twice the price. Gary

Yar, I'd buy one for more than that if the frame and fork were sound enough to strip and rebuild. +1 on the flowers :lol: .

Mad Scientist said:
I'd snatch that thing up. Worst case scenario is you'll be the one with some cool yard art :wink:
i like how ya think...and thanks to everyone else as well for your thoughts.ill be sure to sign the card on the flowers from the ratrodbikes.com community 8)

schwinner,
I'm thinking you'll never have to ask this question again. CycleTrucks are highly sought after steeds to add to a collectors stable. If not for that, it could hit a Home Run for a nice Pay Day.

I'd love to add a cycle truck to my stable someday but till then I got something that out hauls it by far.

image-50.jpg

well guys.. i went and picked it up today and had a great chat with the lady i got it from.when i went back to look it over once more before i bought it i was disheartened as to its real condition. in my haste of excitment i managed to not notice it didnt have a crank or sprocket.also the basket is a small one and i fear it to far gone to be fixed..the headbadge is incorrect. it is an oval schwinn tag as on most of the other bikes they make and has R on it..which means it isnt old..the rear fender isnt salvageable and the seat clamp is newer..this goes along with the stuff i had already noticed being, the poorly welded on kid seat to the top tube as well as a crudely welded on footrest to te head tube....the positives are...the frame isnt bent or in excessively poor shape.the front fender is very nice, both the s2 wheels are good and it has an early razor stem..i know it wasnt worth the 50 i spent but the little lady and her kindness made me glad to give her the money. she was so excited that someone was going to take care of the bike.. i had originally wanted to sell it for profit but even though it is going to cost me way to much to restore.. that is what i am going to do..gladys was almost in tears when she heard i could fix it and ride it again.her husband who owned it since new had passed earlier this year and she is alone in their home.sometimes it is more than the bikes value that should drive us to our passion..one of mine is trying to make others smile and feel good. so my pledge to her and myself was to make frank(her late husband) and gladys proud.i hope i can finish it before she goes to be with him so i can see her joy and make her feel this world isnt full of hatred like the news channels would have us believe.thanks again everyone for all your comments

Awesome story. I bet Frank would also have gotten a kick out of making a ratty truck out of it. Good luck with your mission and show us some photos!

question..the bike is covered in a thick hand applied copper paint..i mean everything is copper..but i can see the original red is just under it..im not sure what type of paint it is..how would i find out the best way to try to strip the copper off and get it back to its original finish?

Oven cleaner some times works too. Spray on leave for 10-30 minutes and wipe off with a wet rag and lots of water.

Back