Not new to rat-rods, just Rat-Rod-Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to you all from Clinton Maryland, just outside of Washington DC. I was never really much of a bicycle guy until I married a Dutch girl and started spending alot of time in Holland. I picked up this Rollfast on E-bay a coupla years ago because I figured if I was going to ride a bicycle, it may as well be cool. (And I will not pay a small fortune for some re-creation from New York).
5454_1196522752952_1224974224_559351_7574744_n.jpg

I loved riding this old girl around with my wife and my sons. Then i found a Murray Monteray at a market for 10 bucks. It needed tyres and some help, but it followed me home. I took it apart out of boredom one day and it sat on the back porch for a year. Then I recently came back from Holland and really wanted to ride. A coupla tyres and 2 cans of rattlecan later, I had this:
40045_1578029490382_1224974224_1618185_1979198_n.jpg

Nothing fancy, but viable means of motion, while looking good for under 35 bucks. Then I realized that building bikes is just as cool as building motorbikes, but alot easier and WAY cheaper. A little research lead me here and i like it. I plan on doing one right next time and as I have access to mig/tig, a bead blaster, a lathe, a mill and a powder coater, I dont see whats stopping me.

thanks for looking.

looking at your moniker...are you really a cop. My favorite duty as a cop was a stint as a bike cop in downtown K.C.

coach j said:
looking at your moniker...are you really a cop. My favorite duty as a cop was a stint as a bike cop in downtown K.C.
Yea.....20 year cop in Washington DC. havent been on a mountain bike yet, but I have 10 years left to get that done.

My favorite memory...me and partner bored...figured we would ride down a huge set of steps at the Barney Ellis outdoor plaza...you guessed it...sweet endo!!! the lunch crowd applauded it and my partner made sure I heard about it for a week. next day my ride had training wheels on it. :oops:

In the cant leave well enough alone catagory....now why would someone throw a cannondale adventure frame and some rock shocks in the dumpster?
001-19.jpg

003-17.jpg

If my wife only knew about the cutting of metal in her kitchen....................

Back