NOS parts Sell and Resell

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
OK, so I know we work in a free market society and supply and demand are big at work when it come to the prices we pay for things, but when people in this rather small community are begging for good deals on NOS parts with the stipulation that this is the "final piece to finish that restoration" and you give them a good deal at what I know is under market value and then you see them list it on ebay a few weeks later at mor than twice what they paid for it! That really burns my britches. I won't be naming names, but if you read this you know who you are!!! i won't be giving you anymore deals thats for sure!

Joe :cry:

thats just down right dirty!

cman said:
I wonder if that was the intention the whole time?

I dunno, but there is a saying that goes something like "First time shame on you, second time shame on me" There won't be a third time for this person. Not from my parts bin.

I've noticed this trend at car swap meets and even bicycle show/swap meets. All of the swap space guys get in earlier than the public audience, buy all of the cheap deals, and then set them back up for sale at a jacked up price. :| Really makes you hate the atmosphere, almost makes you hate the hobbies. Seems like nobody really cares if they've helped out a fellow enthusiast, or if they've ticked off someone that has helped them out at one time. One of those rap guys said it best,"it's all about the benjamins baby".

From what I've seen in your threads, you have a crazy stash of NOS goodies. You try to make someone's day by giving them a good deal on a part "they've been searching far and wide for", the next day it's on the bay?? I'd be mad too.

Coming to someone's aid out only to find it was a sham is less than reputable. Profiting from a good deal you found is perfectly ok.

I have seen people try to justify passing on good deals using the "buddy code" as a basis. Sorry, you are only obligated to those you choose. I won't consider buying some of the stuff from the big bike part sellers on ebay. Most of that stuff is out there just waiting for a noob or someone in need. If you want to drive prices down, wait out the sellers or make an offer. If they need the money, they'll drop. If they don't it will eventually be in their estate sale.

yeshoney said:
OK, so I know we work in a free market society and supply and demand are big at work when it come to the prices we pay for things, but when people in this rather small community are begging for good deals on NOS parts with the stipulation that this is the "final piece to finish that restoration" and you give them a good deal at what I know is under market value and then you see them list it on ebay a few weeks later at mor than twice what they paid for it! That really burns my britches. I won't be naming names, but if you read this you know who you are!!! i won't be giving you anymore deals thats for sure!

Joe :cry:
Before you get mad and stop doing it, sell me something first! :D

In all seriousness, my sister told me a story somewhat similiar. She was working with her church and set up a a clothing bank for people down and out. They gave away free clothing , etc. Well, someone informed her that most of the clothing was ending up at yard sales and being sold for profit. She did a little investigating and sure enough...So, now they charge 25 cents per item. They figure it will probably fend off profiteers yet allow destitute people affordability.

I am also finding the same at bicycle swap meets. In the early mornings one group of dealers swarm and chase down the other dealers before the opening of the swaps and buy all of their bicycle for a cheap price. Then they double the price. They go and look at all of your stuff before the car and trailer is finished moving. I am waiting for one of the gets stuck between the 2 vehicles.
I would like to try to sell my to John Q Public during the day, then discount the leftover to whomever want to carry them home at the end of the day. Otherwise the swap meet is done in the first hour, everyone goes home early and then the public comes there and no dealers are gone.
At Memory Lane in the spring there were dealers swarming my booth on Friday morning. On Saturday there were only about 10 to 20 families. I did no business on Saturday. It was like it was not advertised in the local areas. On Sunday I did better at Ann Arbor.

Anyone going to Trexertown, Pa this weekend or next?

Been on a few rides with ya................Those "britches" deserve to be BURNED! (you know which ones I'm talkin about)

I used to work with a guy that was that way...
He hounded this person for MONTHS to get them to sell a certain vehicle to him, he told the seller all kinds of stories about how he always wanted one and couldnt wait to restore it, he kept on and on. Well the reluctant seller finally caved and sold it to him for a very good price. Less than two weeks later it was on eBay and he doubled his money. :roll: :roll: :roll:

He tends to make people feel sorry for him just so they will either give him what he is after or give him a very good deal, all knowing he is just gonna turn around and profit from it.

I tried to get back at him a little bit though... I bought a bike from him for $20, and later sold the forks and seat for $40 and made sure he knew about it, figuring it would get under his skin. Later I found out the bike in question was one he pulled out of the dumpster at a swap meet. :roll: :roll: :roll:

needless to say, I have no use for this person, and I can only hope people will eventually catch on to his evil ways. :wink:

I see your frustration, but I commend you on doing something nice for another human being. Maybe a little rubbed off on him. I hope anyway. This kind of stuff happens to me all the time, but I'm not going to let it stop me from being the giving person I am.

I noticed that the big BMX dealer at the AnnArbor show was running around while people were setting up. They were trying to grab all the under priced stuff they could get their hands on. They left my booth disappointed. I'm not a expert on vintage BMX prices, but I did a little home work before the show to see what stuff was selling for on Ebay. I did eventually sell my parts.

It can be very frustrating to try and help someone out by giving them a deal on that special part only to find it on ebay or craigslist a short time later. Unfortunately that's the way most of society views things anymore. It seems that everyone wants to make a buck and doesn't care who they offend in the process. Over the years I've seen plenty of my "give aways" on the internet and in yardsales. It really tees me off, but that's the chance you take when you try to help someone. It's just part of life, nice guys get taken advantage of. Try to forget the crappy stuff and take pride in the people who really do appreciate your kindness.

As far as the swapshows go .... that's the nature of the sales! A really smart guy can show up with nothing but a bunch of money, find some good cheap deals the night before and buy them up. Then the next day open up to the public and sell most of his stuff and make a good profit. At the end of the day he reduces his stuff down to what he paid for it or a little more and unloads all that's left. He walks away with nothing but a larger roll than what he came with. The ultimate seller!
But for the public looking for a good deal it sucks. Quite often the stuff is tripled (or more) in price from what it was purchased for the night before. One thing that many of you who are new to the swapmeets got to remember .... HAGGLE! Everything is negotiable at these meets! If the seller is "too busy" to talk about a potential sales ....WALK AWAY! I've actually had them chase me down and beg me to come back to discuss the price.

Every since we've been going to Ann Arbor, we've been hammered as soon as we pull onto the fairgrounds. Most of our group unloads the bulk of their stuff the night before the meet. Sometimes the dealers get a good deal but most of our guys know what they wanna ask before they get there. So the dealers pay our asking prices. It's not uncommon though to see a bike get sold and resold throughout the day. Nogoodnic(Kelly) watched this happen to one of his bikes last year. It eventually ended up in the hands of one of our friends who could have gotten it a lot cheaper than what he paid. Just before we left that day it changed hands again and I'm sure it eventually ended up on the internet!

Any of you coming to Ann Arbor next year to sell, feel free to look us up! Camp FreakBike is usually back along the fence the night before. Lot's of good stories and crazy dealers! Sometimes you can get hooked up with the right guys that only pull out their really good stuff at 4:00 a.m., about the time the beer runs out! We always have a great time. Camping is free to any dealers who come out the night before.

I personally feel that no sales should take place before the opening day of the swapmeets, but just like every retail business out there, it's gonna be impossible to stop the sale before the meet/store opens for business. Enough of you guys collect HotWheels to know exactly what I'm talking about! Certain $0.97 cars have been known to command $40.00 or more! If you got the right connections .... you the man! If not your collection/hobby gets real expensive ... fast!

To those of you who have tried to help a fellow hobbyist in his endeavors, I applaud you for this but always remember that it may come back to bite you on the butt!
The man who's butt has several teeth marks,
Chainy

i've been burned a few times like this on the interweb. once even worse, but i've also had some really great experiances and transactions.

here's another situation....
maybe i dont trust anyone. maybe i've been burned, maybe i've become bitter.

i've given away parts(car/motorcycle/bicycle) to my really tight bros. if they want or need something that i have i'll give it to 'em without thought, but.....
in the last few years i have given parts away with a disclamer/caveat. i'll say you can have it if you're gonna use it. if not give it back.

i've had wallhanger parts for years and i give it to a pal and 2 months later it hangin' on his garage wall.

if yer my real good friend you can have my stuff, but ya gotta use it or i will, or sell it.

is this to far off the original post? i hope not.

New Old Stock. New stuff usually in the original package that has been on the shelf for years unused.

I think people should stick to their principles even when everyone else seems to have sold out. Karma will catch up to them somehow.

Not bike related, but along the same line of being greedy:
The "nice" lady at my Mom's church babysat all the kids during Sunday service for years. It was a volunteer position as the church didn't have money to pay for the babysitting. She said she was very poor and couldn't make ends meet, so all the leftover refreshments went home with her, and everyone always pitched in to pay her for babysitting. Then one day, a big story hit the news, a lady had been ripped off by scam artists for $14,000 cash. It was her! She had been taken in by the old pigeon drop scheme for $7000. Then, two more scam artists showed up after she reported it and pretended to be detectives and took her for another $7000. All cash.

I just do things the way they should be and let the cards fall where they may.

Beatcad, I know exactly what you mean. I've got a close group of 4-5 friends, plus the local ratrod guys who live within an hour or two of here, and I'll give these guys the shirt off my back.

I'm always a big fan of helping out the hobby, especially when it's a kid getting into it, someone building their first bike, someone who has very little means, anyone needy, someone building a "tribute" bike or recreating a bike lost through tragedy or years...

Be honest with me, and I'll be straight and generous with you. I will always make deals, give away stuff, throw in extra parts, or point you to my "Free" pile. Even things I charge (in my mind) full price for, I'm charging what I think is a fair price. Somewhere between yard-sale and the low selling price on a public format like Craigslist. (And I have sold/donated/installed a few of my wall-hangers over the years on the rare occasions that the right bike came along needing one-of-those...)

Can you probably re-sell and make money off my stuff? Yeah, you probably could. I hope you won't, or at least I hope that you're buying stuff to use rather than resell with profits in mind. I know I've mispriced a few items that I didn't quite understand their value, and they've sold quickly for what I asked for them (skiptooth chains in the package, Brooks saddles) but that's ok. They went to people who wanted to finish up bikes that needed them, so it's cool that they got a good deal.

I have sometimes had dealers try to buy up all I've got of certain things, or pester me for more that I haven't shown anyone. In general I've resisted any efforts by people like this but if it's someone I've never met before, I have no idea if they're a dealer or a hobbyist like me.

I've met some great people in this hobby and certainly part of the fun and excitement of it is opening that barn, that box, that closet, finding something rare at a tag sale or estate sale and holding your tongue till you get home and yell WOOHOO! Am I still psyched 15 years later that I found a Stingray at a yard sale for $5 with original rims? Heck yah! Am I jealous of my friend who picked up a 30's Hawthorne with toolbox tank last year? A bit.

It is always satisfying to make a little money on a bike or a part. To me, much more satisfying than squeezing every last nickel out of a purchase by parting a bike down to the bearing balls. I have very little respect for people buying desirable collectible bikes (or automobiles, or any other collectible) only to part them out. I have bought items from some of these people and paid their price, to finish a project, so I suppose you can call me an enabler (or an addict?).

Obviously none of us know the others here or elsewhere in the hobby well enough, at least 90% of the time, to know whether someone does this for a living, for a hobby, for the thrill or whatever, and also we don't know if someone is really being honest about their intentions. But it does ease my mind to do business here, either buying or selling, knowing that very few people here are looking for the quick buck or a resale. Now, that doesn't mean that I won't myself buy something cheap, put time into rust removal, or sandblast and repaint, or other refinishing, and sell it on for a higher price. I think that's called "Restoration" and I doubt many people have a problem with profiting from one's own ingenuity and labor.

However, the flip side of that or the opposite of that, is someone you've probably come across, and I will name him- Craig, from Schwinnstore on Ebay as well as the couple of other screen names he uses. He trolls the forums, looking for deals on desirable bikes, acting like he's just a collector looking for that certain thing. All of his purchases are promptly placed on Ebay for ridiculous asking prices, in badly written ads that have a lot of this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in them. He also constantly sells repro or generic parts listed as "fits Schwinn" with unclear descriptions. It's designed to sucker in the inexperienced on both ends: the naive seller who thinks his dad's old bike is going to a good home, and the person restoring a vintage bike who thinks he's getting something genuine.

I urge people to not do business with this person, as I think he represents what's wrong with this hobby. I don't care what he offers, he will never get a thing from me.

(Ok, climbing down off soapbox. Gotta go paint a 71 Stingray frame anyway.)

--Rob

beatcad said:
i've been burned a few times like this on the interweb. once even worse, but i've also had some really great experiances and transactions.

here's another situation....
maybe i dont trust anyone. maybe i've been burned, maybe i've become bitter.

i've given away parts(car/motorcycle/bicycle) to my really tight bros. if they want or need something that i have i'll give it to 'em without thought, but.....
in the last few years i have given parts away with a disclamer/caveat. i'll say you can have it if you're gonna use it. if not give it back.

i've had wallhanger parts for years and i give it to a pal and 2 months later it hangin' on his garage wall.

if yer my real good friend you can have my stuff, but ya gotta use it or i will, or sell it.

is this to far off the original post? i hope not.

Back