NO uSe fOR a NaME!!! (aka Checkered Past)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: NO uSe fOR a NaME!!!

I am planning on tearing down and cleaning up the wheels tomorrow...There are missing spokes, broken spokes and rust everywhere. I know it is taboo to ask questions to get around the build rules but do I have to lace and true the wheels or can it be left to a professional? I know nothing about building wheels.

Thanks for the help.

poke around on youtube and watch a few different videos lacing wheels. its not really as difficult to lace as you would think. its more time consuming than difficult :D
just a lil hint too.... do the front one first to get the hang of it, the rear is a little more involved because of the coaster brake having to come apart before the spokes can come out/in

junknutz1975 said:
poke around on youtube and watch a few different videos lacing wheels. its not really as difficult to lace as you would think. its more time consuming than difficult :D
just a lil hint too.... do the front one first to get the hang of it, the rear is a little more involved because of the coaster brake having to come apart before the spokes can come out/in

Thanks for the tip...I have watched a few videos. It doesn't seem too hard but I lack patience. I will give it a shot. I'm a little behind schedule so the wheels will be coming apart on Thursday this week.

I was able to get some work done this morning before my back started to hurt. I got the wheels torn down...I think I am just going to replace all of the spokes at this point. I ended up breaking a few getting them out so any trust I had in the remaining spokes is gone. I also cleaned up the rear hub and was surprised at what I found underneath years of dirt and grime.

I also took a wire brush to the rims and got most of the rust off of them...There is a fair amount of cancer on them so I am undecided on using the stock rims now.

I picked this up the other day at Wally World...

I wasn't sure I was going to use it but I got bored and my wife is at a work event so...

I was unsure of what the results might be but I really like it. I have to redo it and take my time. It is a little off center.

Once I get it on there straight and add some clear it should look pretty good and last a while.

Thanks! I am actually surprised on how it turned out.

A day later though, the tape has lifted in some spots. I am going to have to sand the chrome down more so it will stick long enough to get some clear on there.

That is an awesome idea for the rims! I wonder if you used a spray adhesive like they use on headliners in cars would help it stick better.

I thought about that. I may give it a go. The tape is only lifting on the sides where I stretched it to wrap around the rims. I think it would stick better if I roughed up the chrome a little more.

Checkers are mesmerizing.. :shock: Cool idea!
DSCN1877_zpsff5cf669.jpg

Onewheelsqueel said:
Yeah I wrapped my Monark frame and it was wanting to pull up all over, that's why I suggested it.
I am assuming it worked for you then? If so, I will do that for sure.

I did the frame, so I was able to get it to stick to itself by wrapping it around the tubing. I had a rough old finish so it didn't want to stick. Hard to say if it'll work for you. Sure looks cool though.

Alright everyone...Most of the tape on the rims lifted so I got a little discouraged (going to give it another go though). I have also been doing a lot of fishing lately.

I have some parts being delivered today that are sure to get me motivated again. I should have some time to work on the bike tomorrow so expect to see some progress.

Latest posts

Back