no stretch widen....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Is there any way to widen frame that goes to rear wheel, got very few metal working tools and no welder yet....

Could I cut gusset behind seat post [at base] and ease apart then maybe use nuts bolts washers to keep it apart?

Thanks

MrG

if you have a floor jack, you can do it! just simply stick the decompressed jack inbetween the stays at the dropouts, and spread em. push them out a bit further than you need, they'll sort of spring back on ya. or you could do it little by little, like i did the first time. :wink:

I was thinking about using threaded rod to do a similar thing, nuts and washers on the inside of drop outs.

Just got to watch I do not bend drop outs

Racing/tourers were never designed to take 3" rims :) ...

Thanks

MrG

that might work too. it'll just get pretty hard after a while. but if your muscular, and not a scrawny white guy like me, you'll do just fine. :lol:

Thinking about putting a block between frame [at point where tyre was touching] and release bar maybe pull in a little to get a a slight bend going....

MrG

mrgreen said:
Thinking about putting a block between frame [at point where tyre was touching] and release bar maybe pull in a little to get a a slight bend going....

MrG
I did that on a frame to gain a little clearance, worked great.

Well gave it a shot opening up frame at rear dropouts until I got about a 1/4 inch extra at the point where tyre was touching then stuck a block in and then pulled frame back tight, seemed to work..... wheel is not rubbing now...

MrG :mrgreen:

If you get a welder of find a new friend with one you could do this, Did this in a few minutes. Besides the welder can make and fix a lot of things for ya. I think my welder has payed for its self 10 times over by fixing and making things that I would have to pay to fix or make.
The narrow rear triangle, the cut has been made.
S5003104.jpg

2 inch piece ready
S5003105.jpg

And welded in top and bottom....
S5003106.jpg

I will have to read up on welders could be a handy thing to have.... guess a MIG is a good start..

MrG

flatfender said:
mrgreen said:

MrG
I did that on a frame to gain a little clearance, worked great.

This worked for me on a Murray middleweight. I just grabbed the seatstays and pulled them apart, then strapped a 2x4 near where the tire was going to be, then sqeezed it back together. Worked like a charm. I also checked to be sure drop outs were centered by hanging the bike from the head tube and then hanging a plumb bob from the seat tube and measured from the string to each drop out. I got lucky and the old seat stays beant both way pretty equally.

This works when changing from a 26x2 (or so) tire to a 24x3. It might be a little too tight to jam in a 26x3 as the dropouts end up a little closer to the bottom bracket.

Back