No serial number????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a columbia newsboy special from the early 1950's. I wanted to know when exactly what year it was from, but the serial number has been welded over and stamped crudely with FCF. What could this mean? Why would someone do this? :x :?:

Well I know that if the serial numbers are ground off they can still be brought back with an acid because when the metal is stamped it leaves a certain void in the metal that will react with the acid. On the other hand if they are welded over it changes and melts the metal making serial numbers irretrievable. It could have had something welded to it also.

Is it stock? does it have any custom parts on it. I have seen other things in the past that had custom work done on them, and the person that did the work would stamp their company name or add a extra letter to a number already on the part to be able to tell their work from others. so it might be something like that

If you can't get the serial number, there may be a way to find the year of manufacture, going by the characteristics of the bike. There are probably some Columbia experts here who could tell you the differences between years if there are are any differences. Post up a pic.

I have seen bicycles that were used for maintenance transport or otherwise in furniture factories that had stamped plates welded on to identufy their bikes. Maybe it's something like that.

Back