No name, no budget, no worries

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: No Name Yet (ALMOST A ROLLER)

Yeah, that probably is my best option for the steer tube, I think I might even have some pipe that'll work perfect for the sleeve. That illustration should be made into a sticky for the "how to" section, pretty cool! Another trip out to the welder this weekend and I should have this thing rideable.

just got to say that this think looks really fast just sitting there. killer job. keep it up. :mrgreen:

This looks GREAT! keep up the great work! :mrgreen:

IMG_5772.jpg

Dr. Tankenstein said:
FYI, an old 1" steer tube 'sleeves' perfectly inside a 1 1/8".

Just adding senseless dribble........ :roll:

Good to know, I hardly get my hands on any 1 1/8" forks, but the time will come, and when it does, I'll have a stockpile of 1" steertubes from bent/cut forks.

Re: Switching bikes, breaking rules??

Ok, I put the bike together and rode it last week, and decided that I've done nothing but waste my time and money. Why build a bike if I'm not going to ride it?
Now, I want to start a different build, but it's up to you if I'm breaking the rules. Here's the frame/fork I want to use, my old klunker:

IMG_5853.jpg

This frame has been altered. It was a 70's girl's varsity that I converted a few years ago. The top tubes were added, the dropouts were changed to vertical prewar type. I haven't changed the stock geometry, it looks somewhat factory, but I want to be completely honest before I go any further. If I'm breaking the rules, I'll gladly move this to the normal build section.

I plan on keeping the budget at zero, using only what I can find around the house or bum off of friends.

Go for it I won't be upset if if you used an altered frame to start with. Go build your self a bad as bike

socratesjpt said:
Go for it I won't be upset if if you used an altered frame to start with. Go build your self a bad as bike

Agreed, the rule is really there (in my opinion) to keep the field level with stock "looking" frames, so there are no one-off customs, stretches, etc...

You are allowed 1 frame change during the contest.

Edit: Need to add, since this was already a project bike, I'd say it's allowed as long as you are going another direction with the new build, not just a refresh. All build-off bikes should have an entry day to finish day diary that dates within the build-off.

Two people on board, now as long as the other 76 hundred something members are cool with this I'm in good shape :mrgreen:
Started playing around with seats, bars, and stems last night and found a combo I like. The old art deco stem was stuck in the fork, managed to snap it while removing it :x

IMG_5856.jpg

no, you cant use that frame, thats cheating and i wont stand for it! :mrgreen: just kidding, its not my place to say either way, but its a cool looking starting point. i wouldnt have known it wasnt stock if you didnt tell us, so plus one for honesty. the important thing (to me,anyway) is that you end up with something your happy with.

X-RAY said:
no, you cant use that frame, thats cheating and i wont stand for it! :mrgreen: just kidding, its not my place to say either way, but its a cool looking starting point. i wouldnt have known it wasnt stock if you didnt tell us, so plus one for honesty. the important thing (to me,anyway) is that you end up with something your happy with.

+1 Not my place to judge, but I have no problem with it. I agree I wouldn't know it wasn't stock either! 8)

Started digging through parts last night and found an old 7 seatpost that actually fits the frame. After some thought I figured out that a certain metric socket fits the small OD of the seatpost and the large ID of the seat guts, DIY seatpost shim!

IMG_5857.jpg

And look what fits the headtube perfectly with no modifications, go figure.

IMG_5859.jpg

Decided to move this into the regular build section. It's a modded frame and it doesn't belong in the build off. Will post pics as I make more progress....

Alright, finally came up with a mock up that I'm happy with. I would love a slick in the rear, but I keep telling myself not to spend any money, just improvise. So I guess it's nearly done, a little paint work on the forks, hunt for the chain/grips/pedals and I'm good to go.

IMG_5861.jpg

Latest posts

Back