No More Shiny Bolts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try this for small parts. Get a jar like a jelly jar. Put some muriatic acid in the bottom. 1/2" or an inch is good enough. Wire up your part and suspend it over the acid. Over it, not in it. Laying it across the top of the jar is good enough. The fumes coming off the acid will rust a part quicker than if it was physically in the acid. It takes a day or two. Gary

burrkrayecycles said:
heya onehorsepower
i can tell you from experience vinegar will remove everything and make it not shine
here is what vinegar will do to parts
1214121531_zps2d95a4ce.jpg

sorry don't have a before pic but that's a 1970 14 tooth sprocket im not sure of the brand but it was so rusty it looked like it was painted orange and extremely greasy
so yeah it will do the sane method however it will strip to bare untreated metal
hope that helps
Sean
Thanks , but the question was more about removing "chrome" or "zinc plated" i know to not dip cast aluminium parts in vinegar tho , cause it bubble up into a toxic gas and eat the part

oh i gotcha now
im not sure i have tried to use vinegar to remove rust but no results on dulling chrome
either i didn't leave it on long enough or it won't work
i can't give a definite answer there
sorry man

Back