Nirve or similar headlight questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a really nice little led headlamp that I use almost daily but I do want a nice vintage looking light. From what I can tell most of the vintage style headlights don't provide much light and that's actually ok with me :mrgreen: I want the look. I don't want a generator powered light. What is the best vintage style newer led light available? My plan is to mount two of them on the crossbar of my apes on each side of the stem. If I really need more light I can always rig my other led onto them further up but for the most part, there are streetlights around etc and I have good vision so getting around isn't a problem. Being seen is more important at the time being I guess. Me and my lady ride our bikes at night more than anytime and she doesn't have good night vision so she would probably be getting the nice headlight because when we are together she gets it and I have no light anyways :mrgreen:

It is not hard to convert a vintage light to LED. I use LED flashlights from Harbor Freight. The ones I like best are their 32 LED light that is usually around $5.99. Here is one that I did. It throws more light than you could ask for.

57580225.jpg

8850fd9b.jpg

Here is my LED conversion how to thread.

Thats really awesome! What type of vintage light should I look for as far as the housing goes then? I'm a super noob and I apologize in advance. Would something like this fit in a cheap pyramid light etc? I'm super dedicated to getting something in the color of black as well :mrgreen:

The easiest is one with a plastic reflector. I have used lamps that were originally battery powered and some that were generator powered. just have to find one that fits the look you are going for. If you would like I would be happy to do the conversion for you once you find the right light. I usually charge $20 for a 9 LED array and $25 for the 32 LED conversion. I will knock off $5 for RRB members.

Check out the simple Harbor Freight LED flashlight headlight that I did with a Billy Beer Can and the reflector and lense from a vintage light.

This is from my BEER RUN RRBO6 entry.

20110723Photo_9ADED422-CBBA-B157-E4B5-358D1375E77C.jpg

20110723Photo_03A3932C-F78A-5103-2506-2B951A29F0D3.jpg

There are so many example of cool LED headlights on this sight. I even gutted an Mystery Eight Ball to use as the shell for a future headlight.

Back