Night time at the Flying A Studios

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I may have better ones out there but this is the one that came to mind. (it's not supposed to be one of my build off bike is it?)
I took this the night of the Flying A Studios Swap and Ride this summer. Hope you guys like it.
img_3078.jpg

first thing, thanks for all the nice comments, I really appreciate them!
next I think I might should explain some of the context of the shot. Walt Adams, who owns the Flying A Studio, is one of the old guard of collectors and has been into old bikes for many years. He also has some of the nicest original examples of some of the most rare bikes. twice a year Walt hosts an old bike swap meet and ride. always there is a ton of great bikes and stuff there. The building was originally built around 1911 and was originally an old bike shop. this year after the ride a few of the guys stayed around and talked until dark. one of the guys noticed that the bikes silhouetted in the windows looked cool and started taking a few photos with his cell phone. I had my Canon handy so I shot a couple to, not thinking they would be too amazing. this shot was taken in the dark without a tripod and with Frank from Cyclone Coasters holding a flashlight on the Shelby in the photo. I really liked a few things about the photo, let me point them out just in case you just glanced and went on.
1 I really like the color and texture of the original 1911 wood flooring. the dark warm tone just looks amazing to me.
2 I like the dilapidated look and colors of the wall on the right. that wall really gives an old feel to the shot.

the one thing I don't like is the shadow of the chair on the door. I wish I had noticed it at the time, and I wish we had lit up the bike on the left also.
all that said, I still really like the shot, and am glad some of you like it too. 8)

here, I removed the chair! gotta love GIMP! :lol:
img_3078a.jpg

I love that shot and that Hiawatha arrow! I want one so bad!!!!!!!

pretty sure that's not a Hiawatha, I think it's a Shelby Speed Line airflow.

O, are there any major changes to the sheetmetal parts or just emblems and the crank?

the tanks are different.
here's the Shelby
ShelbyAirfloOrig.gif

here's the Hiawatha Arrow
122ShelbyHiawathaAirflo.jpg

if it's ok, use the one without the chair :oops: :)
also if you can't find enough photos to make calendars for the next couple years I'll be amazed. there are some really great shots and great rides here! :mrgreen:

GREAT shot. It does help that you cloned out the chair shadow. Nice job of it too!

This is definately calendar material.

jerrykr said:
GREAT shot. It does help that you cloned out the chair shadow. Nice job of it too!

This is definately calendar material.
basically just went in and moved the chair to the other side of the room :roll: :mrgreen:
seriously though it was a bit tricky, it's hard to do and make it not noticeable.

quick update, the old building which was in need of quite a bit of repair has sadly been torn down and a new Flying A Studios is being built. :cry: it's sad to lose the old building but it was a wood plank building with a wooden foundation near the beach, there wasn't too much holding the her up. Walt, the owner, is trying to save as much as he can of the old building so the new one will have much the same feel. the hope is that most people won't even know anything has happened, I hope so.

Latest posts

Back