Nexus Inter3 Identification/ parts Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Shimano Nexus Inter3 hub on my bike and need to get a shifter and shift rod for it. Unfortunately I don't know where to get the shift rod, I've seen some for sale on Amazon but don't know what size axle I have. Does anyone know how or what to measure or any other way to tell? The part number on my hub is SG-3C40, I've searched it and always comes up with results for other part numbers. Any help would be appreciated so I can finish my bike.

Good luck with the finding the correct shifter rod. I have 2 bikes with the same shimano part number and the rods are different sizes. I would recommend getting both once you find them. If you have a bike shop you can ask them for help on this matter. I had to pay $11 shipped for a $2 shift rod because no shop around me had it, but if your local bike shop is helpful they can guide you to the right one you need.

rydr1 said:
Good luck with the finding the correct shifter rod. I have 2 bikes with the same shimano part number and the rods are different sizes. I would recommend getting both once you find them. If you have a bike shop you can ask them for help on this matter. I had to pay $11 shipped for a $2 shift rod because no shop around me had it, but if your local bike shop is helpful they can guide you to the right one you need.

Do you remember where you ordered yours from? I'm not having luck locally.

According to the Shimano "Tech Docs", both the 3C40 and 3C41 were/are available with 3 different axle lengths (168mm, 175mm, and 178mm). The push rod for the 168mm axle length is 81.85mm long, and is part number "Y-33R 98080". The rod for the 175mm & 178mm axles is 86.85mm long, and is part number "Y-33S 98180". Measure your axle length, and find/buy the appropriate length rod.

SG-3C40 http://www.paul-lange.de/fileadmin/paullange/downloads/ARCHIV/SG/SG-3C40.PDF

SG-3C41 http://bike.shimano.com/media/techd...SG/EV-SG-3C41-2330B_v1_m56577569830704663.pdf

On the other hand, it seems many online vendors are advertising a rod with part number Y33S91100, and describing it as a push rod for 3C41 with a 168mm axle, but they don't mention the length of the rod.

Yeah, measure from end to end. You would have to use some sort of "caliper" to measure. If you don't have access to a caliper, you can make something out of cardboard.

Thanks for all the information guys, I measured my axle and it was 168mm, went to my local bike shop with the above attachment printed out to see if they could order me one. They looked in their catalog to no avail and took my number to see if they could find it somewhere else. A couple hours later the guy called me back and said they found one the right length sitting in a wheel in their shop and I could have it for a few bucks, I rushed over there and got it, now just need to get a shifter/ bell crank!

Back