Nexus 3 Speed Coaster 3rd gear fried.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an awful day with wonderful weather.

Anyways I believe my third gear in my nexus 3 speed is fried; the story.

Popped a tube while riding, I think I pinched the tube during installation.
Luckily I had an extra tube and tools/pump; got the wheel off an reinstalled everything,didnt re adjust the tensioning for cable shifting;
lost a small nut for the coaster brake-
went riding back to the car, and in third gear go to brake forgetting the coaster wasnt locked in and it locked up the hub/chain and I couldnt pedal it...

When I got home I looked at the bell crank it had twisted around the axle, stretching the cable around with it.. took everything off and reset everything and tensioned the cable and hooked up coaster brake properly...

the bike shifts fine in 1st and 2nd when I get enough speed to shift into third, the wheel locks up..

1) if my 3rd gear is fried/bent can I repair it without buying much?

2) if not, Can I replace the internal guts with the same model? Saving the wheel?

model# SG-3C41

I had that happen, on a test ride, I forgot to bolt down the brake arm, and it spun when I braked.
Locked the hub up. I kept working with it and it freed up. I never did know exactly what I did to free it up. I didn't take it apart.
Good luck.

From what I understand, if you remove the guts of a Nexus hub, it all slides out as one solid unit.

Maybe you could pull it apart and see if there is anything damaged inside.

Back