Next build off………

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heading forward

Dec : off
Jan-Mar : build-off - ORBO & SWBO

Apr : off
May-July : annual RRBBO - class 1/class 2 as usual

Aug : off
Sept-Nov : build-off - MBBO (We are going to deliberate and see what the data says about adding more options here. More on that later in 2024)

Repeat

What is the next the theme going to be, and when will be starting date?

BMX / Gravel / Mountain and, or Road Race / Urban?

ORBO - OFF ROAD BUILD OFF
  • -Klunker/Bomber/Gravel/MTB... (anywhere from period correct early single speed coaster brake Bomber/Klunker to current carbon frame, hydraulic disc, full suspension Mountain bike)
  • -BMX suitable for an adult to ride, can be set up for park/race/dirt/freestyle. Dealers choice
  • This is not a build-off for your everyday cruiser or your ride to the shops bikes... This is for bikes that are meant to be ridden hard and fast, jumped, skidded and abused in an OFF ROAD setting! Cranbrook with knobbies? Probably not. Go nuts

SWBO - SKINNY WHEEL BUILD OFF
  • Tire (front and rear) width not to exceed 1.5" or 40mm
  • Anything else goes

Competition will run from 12am (midnight) on 1/1/2024 (the start of the new year) until 12pm (noon) on 3/31/2024

Standard rules:

* You are expected to start a build thread in the appropriate class “Build Journal” section showing your starting point and post progress pics as you go.
  • Please don't just build away and expect to jump in at the last second with a finished bike. You can enter at any time before the deadline, but the build must not be finished when you enter!
  • This is a BUILD OFF not a BIKE SHOW. Start from scratch and show us your transformation skills
* Keep a running journal in your thread about your build showing the steps you are taking

* You must post a thread in the appropriate “Finished Bikes” sub forum for your class once your work is complete. Use the same title as your build thread but please, no special characters or fonts. Please make the first photo in your finished thread your top choice as it will be the photo used in the voting process. If your builds rideability is questionable you may be asked to provide a riding video, just to quell that concern

* Multiple entries per class from one builder are allowed, but they must have their own build threads as well as their own finished threads and will be entered for voting separately
* The same bike cannot be entered in both categories even if it conforms to parameters. Pick one and build on

• * Bike must be built within the dates specified. It must not be started before the start date
    • You can gather parts but no physical work should be occurring prior to the start time
  • * Bike must be pedal powered and ridable
  • * Any concerns of eligibility will be at the discretion of management
See Above Yes GIF by Dash Home Loans

Let’s do this

Dang. I have two bike restorations that I have just started that both would work for the next BO. Bad timing on my part. Technically all I have done is dissembled and started cleaning so far. But I don’t think I can pause until January. A 1948 Triumph with rod brakes, and a 1986 Schwinn High Sierra.

I need to plan better around these build offs.

Hmmmmmm.... Skinny? Maybe this Ross Central Park 3 speed.View attachment 253846View attachment 253847

Cool bike! I picked up a pair of these a long time ago that belonged to twins. One is in excellent shape. The other, not so much. Played around with muscle bike mock ups on the beat down bike & put the mini apes on my Crusty Collegiate. Love the bars & one of my smoothest riders.:heart:
IMG_20200719_130847288_HDR.jpg

Excited to see your build! :thumbsup:

Cool bike! I picked up a pair of these a long time ago that belonged to twins. One is in excellent shape. The other, not so much. Played around with muscle bike mock ups on the beat down bike & put the mini apes on my Crusty Collegiate. Love the bars & one of my smoothest riders.:heart:View attachment 253855

Excited to see your build! :thumbsup:
That long tank is sweet!

Dang. I have two bike restorations that I have just started that both would work for the next BO. Bad timing on my part. Technically all I have done is dissembled and started cleaning so far. But I don’t think I can pause until January. A 1948 Triumph with rod brakes, and a 1986 Schwinn High Sierra.

I need to plan better around these build offs.

Asking for approval to enter my Triumph in the skinny wheel build off. I have reviewed the rules and believe I technically still qualify . So far I have dissembled the bike and cleaned and inspected some parts, but I have not physically built anything yet.

I have purchased new rims and tires, but I haven’t started building the wheels yet.

I am in no way offended if anyone objects. I can easily start another project. However, I would like to continue shopping for parts and not start building until Jan 1

You can see my progress in the following thread.

https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/1948-triumph.119223/

Asking for approval to enter my Triumph in the skinny wheel build off. I have reviewed the rules and believe I technically still qualify . So far I have dissembled the bike and cleaned and inspected some parts, but I have not physically built anything yet.

I have purchased new rims and tires, but I haven’t started building the wheels yet.

I am in no way offended if anyone objects. I can easily start another project. However, I would like to continue shopping for parts and not start building until Jan 1

That’s a cool bike, I dig it. Seems like it would be ok to start with a disassembled bike but we’ll see what the mods have to say.

I would say if you put a pause where you are in the process you would be fine

I rode last years skinny tire build exactly twice.
Can you smell the skinny tire burrito cooking?
Nishiki Burrito. We'll see what kinda hot sauce I can come up with.
(although I do have a few BMX in the boneyard)

Back