Next build off………

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as BMX and such my personal opinion is run it with say muscle bikes a sort of urban weapons things mountain bikes for flying down stairs BMXs for flying off ramps water fountains all that fun stuff that drives normal people nuts save offroad for getting dirty playing in the mud but that's just my opinion
This was along my thoughts as well, and why I thought the site had come to the conclusion to run BMX in parallel with MBBO. Like 2020-21 did, and was so surprised this year that it wasn't in the fall line-up for 23.

e
This was along my thoughts as well, and why I thought the site had come to the conclusion to run BMX in parallel with MBBO. Like 2020-21 did, and was so surprised this year that it wasn't in the fall line-up for 23.
There's been some trail and error with moving to three build offs a year for two. Keeping things fresh. Taste and wants and styles have changed in the last few years. We just tweak things to see what works.

As far as BMX and such my personal opinion is run it with say muscle bikes a sort of urban weapons things
Strategically, this makes sense to broaden the appeal of the site too. Instead of focusing on a specific era, ie the muscle bike thing, by grouping it together with the BMX thing could bring more eyes to the site. There's some similarities between the two, with the whole "kid bike" thing and the 20" wheel origins, and the all grown up, "big kid" versions too.
I like the idea of friendly "Muscle vs BMX" and "Skinny vs Dirt" rivalries as well, a way to use the competition to bring together different groups.

Strategically, this makes sense to broaden the appeal of the site too. Instead of focusing on a specific era, ie the muscle bike thing, by grouping it together with the BMX thing could bring more eyes to the site. There's some similarities between the two, with the whole "kid bike" thing and the 20" wheel origins, and the all grown up, "big kid" versions too.
I like the idea of friendly "Muscle vs BMX" and "Skinny vs Dirt" rivalries as well, a way to use the competition to bring together different groups.
Maybe next year we can switch it up but we’re already running muscle now

Maybe next year we can switch it up but we’re already running muscle now
Plus @ingola is getting enough bmx stocked up for everyone to participate 😂

It’s the kind of thing we can use to lure @RustyGold back home!

I do think by definition that BMX are "offroad" but that knobby tires should be optional on them.

A bit passionate about the topic.

run it with say muscle bikes a sort of urban weapons things

run BMX in parallel with MBBO

BMX thing could bring more eyes to the site.
I like all of these opinions/ideas and I also don't mind having BMX in the offroad class.

I've been following this conversation with interest. I'm not too invested in the definition of an offroad tire; there are various versions of offroad tires. There is also a fair amount of overlap, for instance the early 'knobby' style klunker tires were/are basic cruiser tires until purpose built knobbies came along. I like to run this style of cruiser tire on my vintage style klunker builds:
1698944673199.png

I built up this Redline for the last ORBO (still not finished quite how I want it). It has semi knobby tires which I think are designed for bike park riding. But I also live in the Sierra and these tires work fine for the dirt roads and trails around here, especially for an occasional use bike.
IMG_1438.JPG

Question, would there be enough builds for a BMX specific class? I kind of doubt I'll do another BMX bike. I built this one to replace my high school bike that had been stolen many years ago. I'd like to collect a few more but I like the 'old school' era BMX bikes which are the most collectible and very, very pricey around here, so that's probably not going to happen. I might pick up some projects to fix up for donation bikes, so that's a possibility.

I could easily fall down the old school BMX rabbit hole though. Here's some that I love:
This is an '83 Redline very similar to my original. I had to use a '92 frame for my repro due to cost issues.
1698945951862.png

I have a soft spot for Redlines
1698945985013.png

More:
85 Hutch
1698946027927.png

Mongoose
1698946053789.png

GT
1698946080672.png

Haro
1698946111476.png

PK Ripper
1698946361065.png

Hans Rey, riding a GT I would assume
1698946578818.png

I like all of these opinions/ideas and I also don't mind having BMX in the offroad class.

I've been following this conversation with interest. I'm not too invested in the definition of an offroad tire; there are various versions of offroad tires. There is also a fair amount of overlap, for instance the early 'knobby' style klunker tires were/are basic cruiser tires until purpose built knobbies came along. I like to run this style of cruiser tire on my vintage style klunker builds:
View attachment 251672

I built up this Redline for the last ORBO (still not finished quite how I want it). It has semi knobby tires which I think are designed for bike park riding. But I also live in the Sierra and these tires work fine for the dirt roads and trails around here, especially for an occasional use bike.
View attachment 251673

Question, would there be enough builds for a BMX specific class? I kind of doubt I'll do another BMX bike. I built this one to replace my high school bike that had been stolen many years ago. I'd like to collect a few more but I like the 'old school' era BMX bikes which are the most collectible and very, very pricey around here, so that's probably not going to happen. I might pick up some projects to fix up for donation bikes, so that's a possibility.

I could easily fall down the old school BMX rabbit hole though. Here's some that I love:
This is an '83 Redline very similar to my original. I had to use a '92 frame for my repro due to cost issues.
View attachment 251678
I have a soft spot for Redlines
View attachment 251679

More:
85 Hutch
View attachment 251680
Mongoose
View attachment 251681
GT
View attachment 251682
Haro
View attachment 251683
PK Ripper
View attachment 251684
Hans Rey, riding a GT I would assume
View attachment 251685
Lovin on all of those bikes @Pondo

My best friend growing up had an 83 red mongoose like that blue one. Was the lightest of our little gang. The Mag Scrambler was the heaviest because of the alloy wheels. I like to think my predator was the strongest, but they were all chromo.

The old, mid, new school and modern BMX rabbit holes each have a plethora of cool bikes. I think there is plenty of interest for a BMX buildoff, id bet we would see a tribute bike or two on a 26" frames, perhaps a few 29" big ripper builds and other ingenious ideas that many on here have.

Recently on Tires,
20231031_081234.jpg

I found some nathan williams 20x2.5s that I fell in love with for jump/track racing. Also found some good race tires 2.35 front 1.95 back that I am eying for the predator. It originally came 2.125/1.75. So a size up. They are dirt racing tires but with a V design similar to Kontacts, not a knobby design. Great for rocky trails, jump and freestyle as well.

Exciting stuff. Can't wait to ride again. Hopefully by December will get the Dr's agreement Maybe January before I can offroad again.

Last edited:
I could never learn stunts so I just ride fast over stuff and off stuff. Sometimes it looks like a stunt, but probably because I am falling
I wrecked a lot. Many of the early tricks i learned were from trying not to wreck.

"Dude, How'd you ride on that front tire for so long? That was rad!" Me: I was just trying to stop before I hit that tree...

"Dude, How'd you ride on that front tire for so long? That was rad!" Me: I was just trying to stop before I hit that tree...
"Dude! How'd you manage to run down a flight of stairs with an upside down mountain bike between your legs?"
Me: "It's possible, but it'll hurt a bit"

"Dude! How'd you manage to run down a flight of stairs with an upside down mountain bike between your legs?"
Me: "It's possible, but it'll hurt a bit"
Luckily the trick I learned multiple times was to crash by the stairs, or at the bottom if we were jumping them. luckily not on them yet any advice on how to stick the landing?

[
I could never learn stunts so I just ride fast over stuff and off stuff. Sometimes it looks like a stunt, but probably because I am falling
I decided to learn at 47 years old lots of falling

"Small wheels, up steps? Literally impossible."
Mountain bike industry
:rolleyes:
I do that trick really well

Back