Newb query on a springer/wheel install.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all;
I'm looking to going to a rear 24" with a 3" wide tire. Also looking at a 90 degree bent fork springer for the front, but staying with the 26" wheel.

This is the bike this stuff is going on;

P1000747.jpg

I believe it's circa mid '90's. Definitely department store purchased. For $40.00 CAD, I'm not complaining.

I'm thinking a 3" tire might be a bit much, but do you guys know of a more rounder profile 3" brand tire?

Please excuse my newbiness, but regarding my choice of front fork;
Are these bent springers designed to give the appearance of a longer, lower stance without actually lowering?
I realize the install of one of these 90 degree bent springers does have an affect on the handling/geometry. My concern lies with the 170mm cranks currently on my bike. Will there be any pedal scraping issues when teamed with my 24" rear wheel choice?

A few question, I know and I have a few more, but this'll do for now.
Anyone?
G.

The 3" tire will be taller as well as wider. I don't have exact dimensions (I don't do things that way) but an inflated 24" x 3" tire on a "standard" cruiser rim will be about the same height as an inflated 26" x 2.125" on a rim of simillar width. I thought it was popular for chopper builders to put 24" x 3" on the rear, and 26" X 2.125" on the front. Then I spent a few unsucesfull minutes tring to find a picture of it on chopperbicycle.net.

Felt makes an pretty round 24" x 3" tire. It's called the "Thick Brick" and comes in both white and blacked wall versions. http://www.feltracing.com/products/prod ... 7&pid=8558

I've heard mixed reviews about the lowrider style bent springerss. They definately can look good, but some people are not happy with their quality, while others don't seem to take notice. I don't think you can readily mount a front brake on the lowrider style, but I could be wrong. I've never actually held one. I don't know how much, if at all they lower the front end.

Another thing to make sure of, is that the fork will work with your headset (the bearing and things that hold the bearings and fork to the frame). You have a pretty new bike so it very well could have a newer style threadless or integrated headset, while the lowrider style bent springers have an older style 1" threaded steer tube, which require a 1" threaded headset.

The wider the wheel you use the wider the tire over all will be. The more narrow the rim the more 'rounded' your tire will look too.

I would imagine a bent springer fork will lower the bike. How much would depend on what tire you use up front. If the pedals scrape - swap them out with something shorter, no biggie.

to answer a bit on the bent springer i personally think they are paper weights and ruin the way a bike steers. if you want it to be lower try tightening the spring to compress it, or remove the spring all together. if all you want to do is lower the front end get a double crown fork like i use on my customs. it comes long then you set it where you want and cut the tops off. yea it does not have susspension but at least it will steer well.
now then for tires there are two ways to go about it. when i built the higgins i first wanted to use a felt 24 x 3 thick brick on the rear. but combined with the wide felt rim it just would not fit even pulled all the way back in the dropouts. then i tried an electra fattio and what do ya know it fit on the same rim in the same bike no problem. so yes some tires are thinner than others. the felt tire is by far the fattest of all with most others being about the same. you can shave the outer edge of the tread all the way around to gain some clearance as that is what i have to do on my new kustom i am working on. here is the other part of the tire equasion and that is rim width. the felt rim is around 58 mm wide where as a standard cruiser rim is around 42. MTB rims can vary that all the way down to around 20mm. what does this all mean? well if you look at my jc higgins kustom the rear tire looks fatter than the front even though they are both the same tire and tubes used. the difference is the rim the rear being the fat felt and the front is a light weight racing alex rim for a BMX bike. so using different combinations of tires and width rims can make the difference between fitting or not and you will just have to toy around with that same thing in your frame. i will shut up now :mrgreen:

GinSonic said:
Also looking at a 90 degree bent fork springer for the front, but staying with the 26" wheel.

Please excuse my newbiness, but regarding my choice of front fork;
Are these bent springers designed to give the appearance of a longer, lower stance without actually lowering?
I realize the install of one of these 90 degree bent springers does have an affect on the handling/geometry. My concern lies with the 170mm cranks currently on my bike. Will there be any pedal scraping issues when teamed with my 24" rear wheel choice?

A few question, I know and I have a few more, but this'll do for now.
Anyone?
G.

I have a bent springer on an old[er] schwinn...it does lower the bike some, and i've have a couple of pedal-scrape issues when using the original cranks and original S-7 rims (26")...as far as riding the bike...it has the bent springer AND apes that are in a "forward" position (i have orangutan-like arms), so it takes some gettin' used to.
Orange3.jpg

i still need to finish this bike...and by finish i mean put some tires on the thing!

new_dharma said:
........I have a bent springer on an old[er] schwinn...it does lower the bike some, and i've have a couple of pedal-scrape issues when using the original cranks and original S-7 rims (26")...as far as riding the bike...it has the bent springer AND apes that are in a "forward" position (i have orangutan-like arms), so it takes some gettin' used to.
Orange3.jpg

i still need to finish this bike...and by finish i mean put some tires on the thing!
Thanks Dharma.
In regards to your response on pedal scraping;
Is that with 26" wheels front and back?
Is the scraping issue you referred to just on turning or while pedalling straight ahead?
What's your crank length?

Is your bike finished or is it a work in progress? Sure looks sweet so far. Nice work!
G.

GinSonic said:
new_dharma said:
........I have a bent springer on an old[er] schwinn...it does lower the bike some, and i've have a couple of pedal-scrape issues when using the original cranks and original S-7 rims (26")...as far as riding the bike...it has the bent springer AND apes that are in a "forward" position (i have orangutan-like arms), so it takes some gettin' used to.
Orange3.jpg

Thanks Dharma.
In regards to your response on pedal scraping;
Is that with 26" wheels front and back?
Is the scraping issue you referred to just on turning or while pedalling straight ahead?
What's your crank length?

Is your bike finished or is it a work in progress? Sure looks sweet so far. Nice work!
G.
that bike has been a work in progress for about 4 years.
26" wheels front & back...the cranks are stock-length schwinn middleweight...and I only scrape when trying to go up hills standing (too much for the springer!)...normal riding/cornering is ok...

Korporal said:
The 3" tire will be taller as well as wider. I don't have exact dimensions (I don't do things that way) but an inflated 24" x 3" tire on a "standard" cruiser rim will be about the same height as an inflated 26" x 2.125" on a rim of simillar width.....
Well, seeing as it's taller than an equivalent 26", it definitely will not fit between the seat stays and possibly not between the chain stays either of my bike. Too wide a tire width.

Korporal said:
......I thought it was popular for chopper builders to put 24" x 3" on the rear, and 26" X 2.125" on the front. Then I spent a few unsucesfull minutes tring to find a picture of it on chopperbicycle.net.
My idea is to go with that combo. I'll probably go with a 24 x 2.5 rear and skinny front tire of say 26 x 1.25-1.5 inches.

Korporal said:
.....I've heard mixed reviews about the lowrider style bent springers. They definately can look good, but some people are not happy with their quality, while others don't seem to take notice. I don't think you can readily mount a front brake on the lowrider style, but I could be wrong. I've never actually held one. I don't know how much, if at all they lower the front end.....
My searches in RRB seem to support what you mention about these bent springers. However, I feel a bent springer is the best option to extend and rake out the front for that longish lowrider look that I seek with this bike. Seeing as it's to be a "cruiser," a front brake is not in the cards for it. I intend to go single speed with coaster brakes. If I wanna rip around like a maniac, I've got other bikes that will serve that purpose.

Korporal said:
.....Another thing to make sure of, is that the fork will work with your headset (the bearing and things that hold the bearings and fork to the frame). You have a pretty new bike so it very well could have a newer style threadless or integrated headset, while the lowrider style bent springers have an older style 1" threaded steer tube, which require a 1" threaded headset.
I've seen these springers online and available in both threaded and threadless. In regards to what type I require on this particular bike, I'm not sure. I haven't taken it apart yet, but it does appear to have a quill style handlebar stem which tells me it's threaded, yes?
The only thing with these bent/non-bent springer forks is that there is no mention of a brand, make or any such information. I've seen them priced from $35 to $45 USD and $59 CAD. I presume they're just generic, made in Taiwan jobs, but I don't know. All I know is that it's going to give me the look I want for this bike. I think I can live with the idiosynchracies that go along with 'em.
Thanks for chiming in and the enlightenment, Korporal.
Cheers.
G.

Latest posts

Back