new to this forum from Nor Cal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have joined, because I am building a new bike or two.

My credentials: When I was in 3rd grade in the 70s, I had the coolest bike in the school, and I made it myself.

I got my neighbors Montgomery Ward "fake Sting Ray", and painted it with "Tire Black" paint that I found in my dads garage. It never really dried, it was made to use to make your tires black. Whatever. I guess I was way ahead of the times with the murdered out bike.

I made fork extensions out of conduit, a hammer and hacksawed slots, and had the only chopper in the school.

I saved up and bought a long sissy bar from Grand Auto in San Rafael, they had a small bicycle section that was more hip than the stodgy old "Official Schwinn Dealers" around.

It had a leopard banana seat that was hard, not like a Schwinn that all the rich kids had. So I painted it also with tire black, but that ruined my jeans so I cleaned it off with turpentine, and it never looked that good anymore.

I also saved up and bought a "maltese cross" that clamped on the sissy bar.

Coolest bike in the school.

Fast forward, and I was 45 years old before I ever had a new bicycle (Redline 29 Monocog), but I have made, assembled, and even built frames and sidehacks from scratch.

My first posts will be to find a straight bar Schwinn, to make into a 2 speed kickback klunker.

I am guessing I need to rack up some posts before I can attach a pic, but I will when I get there.

PS. In order to show my I am serious, I have already donated to help everybody out.

Back