New threads on a repop springer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need to add about an inch worth of threads for the top bearing race on my new springer. Anybody know the size of die I will need.
Its a 1" steerer tube, but not sure on thread count or even if it is metric.

All springers should be English (I.e American) threaded. This is 1" X 24 TPI. This thread size is proprietary to the bicycle and motorcycle industry.

I hate to be the guy that throws a wrench into any good idea, but I feel I should share my experience with you so that it's not potentially a big surprise later.
I bought one of those repop springers, and although structurally and functionally it's just fine now (but not great because the initial build quality is so-so), to make it fit the head tube length I had to remove quite a bit of length from the steerer tube of the fork. This threw off all the geometry and fitment of the fork. I ended up having to cut and re-drill the tops of all (4) fork struts, this was not a BIG deal but I spent considerable time on it checking and re-checking the measurements and mocking it up for fit so that it didn't end up crooked, or just plain wrong.

Close:
Add the spacer between the top adjusting cone and the lock nut. Spacers this thick will be available for thread-less headsets. What you are doing is keeping the spring anchor at the original height.

^ The above is definitely a correct and much much easier solution. Unfortunately I'm often excessively particular about my work and in my own mind to make it "just right" I had to take a different route.

Back