New Style Monark - will fit 28" wheel??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired the new style monark front end for my project.

The specifications state that it will only fit with a 26" wheel. The bike I am working on came with 28" wheels, but I have a line on front and rear old style 28" Sturmey-Archer 3 speed front and rear internal hubs wheels. I don't want to buy the wheels, and it doesn't work out.

I bolted the 28" wheel that came with the bike up to the fork, not installed on the frame. I appear to have at most 2" between the fork and the tire. I have never played with this monark on the bike yet other than making sure it will fit. But as I can tell it is the front part of the fork that moves not the stem. The part that I believe moves I have another 8 or more inches of clearance.

Anyone see any concerns putting a 28 on this fork?

This shows the clearance that I have between the tire and the fork.
7119778691_0574bef39f_z.jpg

The forks I am currently playing with.
MRK1-FRK-4.jpg

Please excuse my ignorance, this is my first build and I am currently in the long process of learning.

With the wheel blocked against rolling and mounted in as you have it, straddle the wheel and put your palms on the chrome cover of the main fork, then push down hard and evenly with your body weight. You will get an idea of the spring tension and maybe can even watch and see what happens to your clearance. If it hits pretty easy you might be about to tighten up the springs to have more preload and resistance.

Pre-loading will reduce initial inertial motion but maximum spring rate will be unaffected. Perhaps if necessary you could do that and simultaneously create a stopping effect by putting spacers at the end of the springs.

Back