new sturmey shifter shifter/old sturmey hub? mounting?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've had a couple of older coaster brake sturmey 3 speed hubs for a while i'm considering for projects. i have two old shimano stickshifts, but i keep reading that they're not compatible. the old sturmey sticks are never cheap on ebay, but i've been seeing this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STURMEY-ARCHER- ... 43a0b5c79a

i think it's from the occ three speeds?

anyone know if it'll work with the older sturmey hub? and if so, anyone have any hints on how to mount it to a frame? i'd be going for a jockey shift position. thanks.

If you use it as a tension style shifter it may work. You just won't get the clicks stops.

do you mean it doesn't have detents, or they don't match the old hub? i've never seen one "in person" to know which you mean. never seen any of the other chopper stingrays, 3 speeds, xl or even a spoiler "in person". just the regular one speed ones.

I have never seen one either. I don't know if it works with detents or if it can be used as a friction shifter. Wish I had more answers for you.

This is something I was just about to try, but I'm confused. I have a Sturmey 3speed coaster hub I was going to use with a Shimano 3speed stick. Will it work or not. Thanks

i've asked on a couple of forums and the answer is either a definite "no" or at best a guess that you can get right on the edge of one of the gears engaging to make the other gears work right.

it has to do with how much "pull" or "throw" (not sure which is the right term) the shimano shifter has in relation to the sturmey hub. the answer always seems to be that they don't match up.

believe me, i wish the shimano shifters would work (or someone could explain how to make them work). i already have them, but after reading that they more than likely wouldn't work, i stopped fooling with it. i'd be doing some possible welding and fitting to get the shifter where i want it. i don't want to go through the trouble of doing it on a guess.

so i thought this shifter might help me work it out, but the bike budget has been cut down pretty severely. buying an older one is out of the question right now, and even with this new one i'd like to know will work before i buy it.

if i can free up a few bucks i'll probaly just get one eventually, but knowing something definite would make it easier to decide to buy sooner.

So, does that mean any Sturmey Archer 3-speed shifter will work with any Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub? Old and new, new and old, etc...?

You could probably use a Shimano 5 Speed Stick shifter because I think most of thsoe are friction based without the click click detents. Then you would just finesse your shifting for each gear similar to a friction based 10 speed shifter.

You could also take an old 10 speed friction shifter and rig up a cooler stick shift onto it.

i might if i were the main person riding it, but it's for sort of a "guest" bike (somewhere there's an old thread where i was making a bike to kind of match my main cruiser. cold weather makes me pull out old projects). i want it to work right.

Back