New schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a friend of ours asked if I could rebuild a cruiser for her by next month so she could participate in a local bike ride. Her current one is uncomfortable and it was time for a change. She wants something more upright and comfortable. No problem as woman's bikes are much easier to come by. Off to mr internets I go and find an old '50s (I think cruiser) I figured I could keep the old rusty chainring, wheels exc for myself and have a fun frame for her w/ new parts. I met up w/ the guy selling this.

Well that's not rust but someone had painted the entire thing brown w/ pinstripes and all. Not having a complete restore in mind I had to pass (so much for my "new"'wheels)

We hit a few yardsales on the way home. I watched a guy pick up a nice cannondale for $100 as I was walking over to it, ..... Though my wife did score some vintage clothes there. This yard sale also had a few boxes of "adult" toys. Weird day so far. After that went to look at a girls banana seat that was supposed to have 24" wheels. Nope. Striking out. We went home and hung out. I had the bug (as some of you may know how that goes) I wanted a bike. I wanted to start this project as my other one is just looking at me but I'm going to try and use it for the September build off. One last chance. Someone was selling a blue women's schwinn around the price I was looking for, a bit higher and didn't want to do another 1 3/8 build as I just finished one. This is what I ended up w/

A late '50s schwinn. Everything on this bike looks original even the grips.

Looks to be in great shape. Dusty crusty Schwinn chrome from that era cleans up like new with a little elbow grease, and that one is practically clean already.:cool2:

You need some truss rods too. See the little bracket attached to the head set? You need 2 rods, and the special bolt and wedge nut. Gary

You need some truss rods too. See the little bracket attached to the head set? You need 2 rods, and the special bolt and wedge nut. Gary
Yeah. I just figured that out. I thought at first that bracket was for a light. Those horn replacements are way more expensive then I had expected. Or maybe they are just some of those crazy eBay people who are out there jacking up prices cuz they can. If all goes well I will ride it down to my favorite LBS and see what may be hiding in the basement.

Do you have a line on that rod setup in the Windy City?

Cool. Anxious to see the ol girl all put together and purdy!
I think the toxic avenger may have been the previous owner because I have no idea what came out of the BB. The old bendix seems to be fine though. Have to chase down a badge.

Back