New Rats or Old Rats?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread came out like I thought...good ramblings. I will admit that I ride an custom-build IBIS Mojo SL as my MTB sled, and it is a China-made frame, but they are very high quality and well tested. It is not a rat, but I do trust it 100%!(never aluminum again) But in terms of rats, for those who cannot get the old american frames, then you are forced to go with the fat-tire newbies that are coming into the picture as of late. They are a great option for going fat for sure. Love the B808 video of the two dudes on worksmans ripping it. Nice. I am surprised some feel that older bikes, original or not should be put away for fear of "wearing them out" How much enjoyment does the gentled bike feel when it becomes shedded and taken out of its element, raining, snowing or not? How does this "retired" bike feel when sitting in a shed unable to roll? How would you feel isolated and put to bed like that? Don't people wipe down or clean off their bikes after riding them in inclement conditions? How hard is that? Sad...
I would still reach for my older American-framed rat 1st if I had to make a choice between the old and new, but that only applies to non-MTB, non-racing, or not big elevation gain conditions.. :aggressive:

It seems to me a quick wipe is the easiest "Maintenance" a fella can do with his faithful wheels.
I hear a lot of folks gaining eldered bikes to stockpile them in the shed.
It breaks my heart to think of all the wonderful years they could have, sitting and moaping like EEYORE under a quarter inch of dust older than I am.

I guess its part of the reason I like Bikes, Im always in expectancy to ride by a rarely opened garage and see one.. maybe [the one].. and ask the fella what he wants for it, to save it and have it back in its place under a warm bum on a chilly road.

Bikes are constructed to be ridden, refab parts created to replace what wears down, and was expected to EVENTUALLY.., I cant see myself collecting bikes just to have more of them.. I collect what I ride, Or I cant even bother.

FZ

Revisiting this:
I have noticed that Old, high-quality american frames/forks have been:
Going up in price, and becoming more scarce.
Old, high-quality frames/forks/ and parts seem harder to find, and prices continue to rise. I notice also that 3-yrs later here, alot of "rats" built here are loaded with Chinese stuff.
Has anyone noticed the higher prices of prewar frames & forks?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back