New project - "Aluma-commute"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys, I'm at it again. After finishing "the sleeper" I have got the bike building bug big time. This project will be a daily commuter called "Aluma-commute" made from an alloy Roadmaster mountain bike frame. It will be lighter so should be easier on the pedaling - which is important for those days when you don't really want to pedal. I have some add-on alloy pieces I'm making to give it that custom touch and to make it slightly interesting to look at. Colour will be Misty Green. The wheels/white wall tyres, front forks and cranks/gears will be donated from my black Huffy, although in the change over I will reduce it back to a 7 speed from 18. I will put aside the Huffy frame for an up coming project that I've had in my head for a while.

Today was day one. Frame stripped of stickers and paint. And rubbed back to clean steel.
P5240001.jpg

Frame ready for work
P5240002.jpg

Alloy bits made
P3210014.jpg

The donor bike with all the bits

Nevergrew said:
I have got the bike building bug big time.

Ain't it wonderful!!? :D

I'm kind of curious to see what you'll do with this bike, and where those alloy things are going... :)

so are the alloy bits going to be bolt-on or weld-on?

Haven't done a lot lately, but managed a quick mock up with most of the gear. Drilled out the small and larger front chain rings and made a layback style seat post.

Jobs to go are, make cruiser type handle bars. Fit alloy add-ons. Modify front suspension brace and make it better looking. And then paint.
P5260001.jpg

P5260002.jpg

P5260003.jpg

loudboys said:
That chainring isn't going to last long. Don't ask me how I know. :wink:
How so??

Do you think it will bend. It seemed to hold up well during my initial shake down test - and I gave it heck. I will see how it handles, and strengthen if necessary. I have another 2 cranks to use if it bends.

BTW - I like what you did with your Alumacruiser.

Thanks.

Actually, when I did the single speed conversion on the Alumacruiser I did the exact same thing with my chainring. It appears to be the same ElCheapo 3-ring Shimano that was on mine.

I rode it up to BicycleRick's shop to show him, and as I started to pedal up the reasonably steep hill in front of his shop to go home, the chainring decided to imitate a taco shell.

Luckily, Rick had the black one you see on it now under the counter along with some reasonably priced cranks, and slapped them on in 5 minutes so I could ride home.

loudboys said:
Thanks.

Actually, when I did the single speed conversion on the Alumacruiser I did the exact same thing with my chainring. It appears to be the same ElCheapo 3-ring Shimano that was on mine.

I rode it up to BicycleRick's shop to show him, and as I started to pedal up the reasonably steep hill in front of his shop to go home, the chainring decided to imitate a taco shell.

Luckily, Rick had the black one you see on it now under the counter along with some reasonably priced cranks, and slapped them on in 5 minutes so I could ride home.

Ahh Ok, you've convinced me now. I might use the smaller cog minus the teeth to strengthen it. Cheers for the heads up. :wink:

Latest posts

Back