New/Old Spaceliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an old Spaceliner. I love the frame on this thing! I'm gonna get a lay back seat post and new wheels/tires to start. I would like to have the biggest 26" tires I can fit, or should I go 24" I appreciate any advice from you guys. Can someone tell me from experience, the largest size tires I can run on this bike? I know the springer can create problems. I saw an older post that had a pic of the front end with the spring supports reversed…is that a safe option. I don't have fenders. I don't really know any of this stuff and I'm here to learn. I searched all over and have seen tons of cool bikes, esp. Spaceliners, but I didn't find any definitive tire size parameters. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I'm ready to roll with this project ASAP. Paul

Last edited:
On my chrome 26" Spaceliner,no fenders, with original 26 x 1.75 rims ( narrow rims cause the tire to go taller ) I am happy with Cheng Shin C1218 26" x 2.125" wire bead 54-559 65psi . The square shoulder tread makes for a wide profile, while leaving just enough room in the frame. The only rub is when going over curbs. There is a loop in the rat trap spring that hits the tire tread as the fork compresses.

Back