New "old" bike fixer upper'er

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadillak64

picture me rollin'
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All. I found this site while looking for parts for my cruiser. I am Jerod. I am knocking on the door of 40yrs old now. Still feel 21 tho!! I grew up on BMX bikes and even raced for a couple of years. I have not been active on a bike for about 25yrs! Dang......I am looking to get back on a cruiser to help loose some weight and hopefully get down to a weight where I could jump on a 24" BMX. So, here's a little bit about what brought me here....
I have a new neighbor that has a nice Electra cruiser. He's a good neighbor and we joke a lot! He cruises around our 'hood drinking an adult beverage , ringin' his ol skool bike bell. I began joking with him that I was gonna' have a better bike than him, keeping up with the Jones', etc..lol. I began shopping around and went to see a few bikes at the LBS. None of them seemed to fit. (5'11'' 300lbs)....I kept wishing I could find one that was more laid back,..kinda' stretched a little...like my Dyno,......wait... I have couple of stretched Dyno's already. Why don't I take this money and rebuild one of those rusty heeps??? And then it began..... I pulled the Dyno Coaster out from the back corner of the yard,..behind the shed. I rolled her around to the garage and just stared at her a few minutes.... Lets do it!!! I fipped it over on its seat and handle bars like back in the days....The wheels came off first, easy. I grabbed the channel locks next and went for the cranks. That's when it all started coming back. I used to do this aaaalllllllllllll the time. As a kid, I was quite the wheeler dealer (still am today) build, traded, fixed many a bike! I had a lot of cool ones. (child of the 80's) Diamondback, Dnyo Pro Performer, robinson mini, PK Ripper to name a few. Pulling the one-piece cranks out, twisting them just so,....ton of memories come flooding. It just felt right! I now have a pile of parts and a bare frame.
So I begin looking for parts, and like a lot of you, I landed here. Lots of great stuff, pics, info, etc....While searching yardsales for parts donors, I came across a nice new Girls Schwinn for a steal, now my girl is into it and rides hers everyday! I am waiting until the May 1st to join the build off. Its been fun buying parts and coming up with my concept. I also have a frame and started ordering parts for the BMX/ Klunker build-off next year!... So nice to meet ya!

Wow, cool story, I'm impressed, a new member and you're jumping right into a build off - very cool! Can't wait to see what you build.

Oh Yeah, welcome aboard:)

Barto

Awesome intro, could not help but smile, amazing how it all comes back when we start messing with bikes again as an adult!

Welcome aboard, I think your neighbour with his Electra does not stand a chance!

Luke.

Back