Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I've been looking for a site like this for a while but now I've finnally found a forum for old school bikes. Sweet!
Anyways, I don't have any pictures on my computer yet but I just put the finishing touches on a 1960's (I think) Schwinn American. I got it from a friend who had spray painted it flat black without masking everything off or disassembling the bike so i had to strip paint off everything. Upon rebuild, I decided to convert the bike to have V-brakes by welding brake posts on. I used a regular brake lever on the handlebar for a while but then I got bored of that and put a "suicide" brake lever on it. I welded a bracket between the two small rails on the frame and built a lever that extends diagonally outwards that puts the wooden handle about two inches away from the headset. It's a slight challenge to hold on to the ape hanger bar and reach down to pull the lever but it makes riding it more interesting. haha. I will post some pics up soon.

Apes and a suicide brake, yes, you could call that challenging, that could get the adrenaline flowing in a panic situation! would like to see some pics.

I tried to get some pics up but I don't know how to get them on the page. I see the image tab on top of the box where you type the text, but when I try to copy-paste the image between the ( [img] )it doesn't work. Is there anything special I need to do? I have a mac and I haven't completley figured it out yet. lol
I will get the pics up as soon as I know how. Thanks!

Btw, Quanah, yes it is sometimes pretty sketchy riding it around traffic and around campus. lol. I let my roommates ride it and they almost crashed or rolled out into traffic.

Alright i made an account on photobucket so now i can get the pics up.
Here they are:
0408091944a.jpg

iPhotoLibrary1.jpg

The bike looks red in the last pic but it's really orange.

Back