New legs for a Girvin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again I'm bored silly. I have a Girvin fork and nothing to do ,so I decided to make it longer.
Now I really don't need a longer fork for anything, but ya never know what will come up in the
future. They have a small tube run through the stock tubes , and I guess it really holds the weight
of everything , because the top is just a big machine screw. I took some 1/2'' tubing and drilled it
out to where it would slip over the original part, and then welded it into my 1'' tubing new legs.
Even with my new welder you have to be fast to weld around 1/2'' tubing. The top will just have a
hole drilled through the tubing. I wanted to strengthen that just in case , so I drove a 4'' piece
of handle bar inside to give it more strength. So this is where I am so far....still working. :roll:
DSCF0001_zps8d69915f.jpg

DSCF0002_zpsc1a6afc8-1.jpg

Got the top holes drilled. I could build the dropouts and weld them on. Not knowing what length
it really needs to be will have to wait till I actually build a frame they will fit on. You can push down
on them and they work fine. Kinda a fun project Lucas. Something to do anyway. :lol:
DSCF0003_zps40d70519.jpg

DSCF0002_zps7a2ad210-1.jpg

Are you going to put the dropout on the back of the leg like stock or move to the front for a better look.

No kidding, that is the one thing that I have never liked about those forks...the rear facing drop outs.

Rat Rod said:
No kidding, that is the one thing that I have never liked about those forks...the rear facing drop outs.
They will turn around with some fine tuning---mostly just swap sides with the legs.

In reality it probably makes them stronger by having the axle closer to the line from the neck.
Yeah you have to drill out the pop rivets on the legs to swap sides. not a big deal though.

That is going to be so cool, the springer and linkage really stand out with the round legs.
Also I appreciate you relighting my fire for my own Girvin fork, just gotta commit and buy one.

Yeah Mike I had to have one...don't know what for but had to have one.
Still have to build a brace for between the tubes. I decided to weld the dropouts on.
If it needs to be shorter then I will just cut them off and build some more. Looks
kinda cool. Hummm wonder if this counts as me starting early if I enter the buildoff
or just getting my parts together. Just need that back part now. :roll: :roll:

DSCF0005_zpsb7647361-1.jpg

Thanks. I kinda messed up. I remember I have an 8' piece of 1'' stainless tubing and I could have
made the legs out of it and polished them to look like chrome. Oh well maybe some other
build. :cry:

Very nice! Never though of a Girvin chopper fork before!

Thanks everybody . Somehow playing with that fork got me into a frame build
and not even with that fork. Not sure what happened. I guess its like when your
old and you go to the fridge for a coke and wind up with ice cream. :shock: :shock:

Back