New Guy - Long time owner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

A little history on myself - 43 yrs old. Im an avid car nut, started my first car at 12. a 67 firebird, took 9 years to finish it. restored a total of 13 cars so far from the ground up ( still have all of them ) , I also restore pinball machines for personal use ( still have all those .... things too ).

how I ended up here:

Saw a guy at the campground a few months ago sporting what appeared to be a Schwinn Stingray Krate. Immediately visions started dancing in my head of the past and the long forgotten treasures I still had sitting in my parents house. I ran up to talk to him and discovered that it was a remake from several years ago. Upon talking to him I learned there is quite a following of these bikes ( and pulling a pretty penny too ). My brothers received a Pea Picker and Cotton Picker in July or August of 70. Shortly after they acquired motorcycles and these sat by the wayside, as usual I received the hand me downs. I acquired both bikes from my brothers when I was big enough to ride them, however BMX was starting out and I convinced my Dad to buy me a BMX bike instead of the " hand me downs".

Even though I really never rode these, I hung on to them cause I thought they were kool, what kid wouldn't? 5 speed shifter, springer forks, ape hangers !!!! First chance I had to travel back to Pittsburgh I pulled them out of where they had been hanging for 30 some years. Theres a few minor nicks on each, nothing big (biggest are where the forks hit the frame) , small rust spots ( nothing deep. More like oxidation). lot of dust, slight dry rot on tires ( surprised the tubes still would hold air)

Few questions:

Safest way to polish the chrome and remove the rust without damage?
easiest way to polish hubs n spokes without unspoking them?
Where to locate quality parts besides EBAY

Regards,

Dave

New guy. Can't help you here but I just dusted off my old cotton picker from '70 or so when I visited my parents this past weekend.
My question is on the serial number. The only serial number on my cotton picker is left of emblem and is "399". I ran over the whole thing with an armour all cloth to clean it and there were no other numbers.

Amazing how tires / tubes were in perfect condition as you mentioned. Let me know how you do as part of me wants to sell it but another part of me wants to learn how to best clean it up and maybe even keep it as a memory from one of the best periods of my life.

I can see why it's a collector. As I was wiping it down occaisionally I would stand back and admire the chrome, drum brake, seat and front emblems, etc. I'm 51 and have clouded memories of this time but I sure wish that I could go back to those days and trace every foot that I rode. If anyone has any reccomendation on how to best, or not, clean it let me know. Put a liitle armour all on the tires, shock absorbor caps, and the bike seemed to like it. You can e-mail me or call me at 704-516-3068.

Welcome. I also love muscle cars. I own 1970 Buick skylark 455. To answer ur question. Others might not agree with me but I polished hub without unspoking them by using brass wire brush and flush dirty out with carb cleaner spray cans. It took me 2 hours. Then I use very very fine steel wool to polish spokes and rim.

With brass wire brush and steel wool, it took ten hours of polishing to get this eliminator buzzy shine.

1352945731.jpg

Thanks for the info all !!

I'll be picking up some cleaning supplies today to start on them.

Yesterday I grabbed my heat gun and an old hotel key card to remove a lovely 70's era AAA bicycle safety sticker from the Pea's frame. What I found out - , they don't make stickers like that anymore! I set the heat gun on 5-6 and was patient. Took around 40 min. to remove it. Guess I could have done it quicker but I learned a long time ago that it's better to be cautious with a heat gun than to go in blazing.

Here's a few before pics ( only thing done was wiping the decades of dust of them in these ) :
Will start posting during and after as I go.

Pea
P1020176_zps4a4d8468.jpg

P1020179_zps6c6599ac.jpg

Cotton
P1020183_zps4e858488.jpg

P1020180_zps83a6e9ed.jpg

Both
P1020185_zps18ac7156.jpg

P1020184_zps3e72886f.jpg

Started working on them today. Still a ways to go.. Mostly did some tinkering on one to see what it will look like in on various components vs. the other. Here's some comparison pics of what I've done so far. I know the lighting sucks but using the flash didnt show well...

side by side
P1020196_zps78aa6c9b.jpg

P1020201_zps836cc614.jpg

Back