New Guy from Pennsylvania

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everybody,

I'm from Selinsgrove PA, about 50 miles north of Harrisburg. I grew up around cars, my dad was a avid antique auto collector and we spent lots of time together restoring them. I was on my bike a lot as kid and did a little BMX racing back in the day. Got my first real road bike in 88 and started riding more seriously in the early 90's. Been riding and doing some racing ever since,although not quite as much with the kids and everything else these past few years. Started collecting bikes 15 years ago and I have a few now, my oldest is a mid 20's Iver Johnson track bike, a pair of Silver Kings( his and hers) the girls bike has a old child seat on it yet, a 53 Schwinn DX, a 61 J.C. Higgins 3 speed, a 50's Shelby, a late sixties Raleigh road bike, and a few others. My bikes are all original and definitely not pristine but nice. Most of the bikes are hanging from the ceiling in my shop and haven't been ridden in years.
I paint custom bikes for some builders in the northeast. All the bikes are already sold and most of the builders have a long back log. Pretty cool, growing up restoring cars and opening a body shop in 2002, friends were having me paint their bikes. A few years ago a friend said that he had a buddy in Philadelphia that was just starting to build bikes ( road, mtb and cyclocross) and was looking for a painter, was I interested. It just grew from there. That's how I got started in the bicycle painting business. I'm working on a tutorial for the forum how I paint bikes, maybe it will help someone out.
I found this forum a couple years ago and it's AWESOME! I spend way too much time on it. A friend of mine gave me a prewar Schwinn a couple years ago that he got from a farmer. The thing was so rusty, I just put it outside the shop. This site inspired me to do something with it. Been working on it and getting close to finishing it up, just need a few more parts. The only parts from the original bike that I used was the frame and skiptooth sweetheart sprocket. I put a repro springer, new wheels that I built with some alloy mtb rims and sturmey archer hubs. I'll post some pics soon!

Love this forum!

Todd

Thanks Luke! Here are a few pics. Sorry, not great pictures. A few of the most of the bikes, one of the paint booth, and one of the Schwinn. Not quite finished with it. Put some bars and seat on that I had laying around just to take it for a ride this past weekend. Need to change the bars to something less angular and as soon as I have the cash I'm ordering a Cardiff Wessex seat and matching grips. I also want to make a laid back seat post from some stainless and polish it.

Back