New Guy from Northern Michigan

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm new to this site so here's my intro. I'm from Northern Michigan and I like all kinds of bikes, from mountain bikes to track bikes and am seriously addicted to tinkering and acquiring new ones. I raced (amateur teams) XC MTBs in the 90s and a bit or road racing in the late '90s but since then I've shifted gears as I've adapted to family life. I still ride a lot but it's for myself and my family, not for a team. My 12 year old son is acquiring my obsession with bikes and we do a lot of singletrack trail riding together.

Anyways, I found this site by searching for info on a 1959 Schwinn Corvette project that I'm starting, pics below. It's nowhere near perfect so I don't think it's worth restoring and after browsing this site, I'm considering some modifications. Maybe bore out the head tube a bit to fit a 1 1/8" fork in there, braze on some cantilever posts in the back and install a bottom bracket adapter for a modern crankset to make a bruiser trail bike.

Or, I'll just fix it up for riding around town. Both are appealing so I'm waiting until I make up my mind before I do anything that can't be reversed.

Here's the bike in my diseaster of a workshop:

3230839291_c6ab6f5c6a_b.jpg

The fork has a bent leg and I'm looking for suggestions on ways to bend it back into shape:

3231718378_f6b49026d7.jpg

Welcome from the southern edge!
My momma was born in Alpena. I love it up there...

Thanks guys!

tomb, Alpena is nice but gets pretty cold this time of year. I'm on the other side of the state in Traverse City and it was -10 degrees this morning!

Welcome from close to the wrist and not to far from tomb.

The ol'lady has family up there in gaylord. Nice up there when its green and not white. We make it up there once a year for the family gathering

Upper Class White Trash said:
The ol'lady has family up there in gaylord. Nice up there when its green and not white. We make it up there once a year for the family gathering

UCWT, my mom graduated from Gaylord H.S.
Small world! :)

And I was mistaken about Alpena, mom was born in Alba, a wide spot in the road west of Gaylord...

I dig Traverse City, Leelenau is one of my favorite places in MI to camp...

Welcome Vuggy. With a little heat and a pipe that slides over the fork leg you should be able to straighten it out. If that does'nt work the Schwinn forks don't change much over the years and I'm sure one from another bike will fit. I put one on my Blue Light Special build from a Schwinn Breeze and used 2 more to build a trailer for another bike. Any bike with a Bowtie name is cool with me. My dad has an unrestored Huffy Camero he rides when he's in Florida for the winter. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back