New guy from Central Florida - any locals?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been building Ratrods since before they were Ratrods! Started in grade school in the late 1970's in good ol' Chicago. Been tinkering and collecting ever since. Finally got rid of it all and moved to central Florida where I gradually picked up the hobby again. I just can't help myself!

I would like to find or help organise a classic ratrod bike club in the Ocala Florida area (local RatRodBikes chapter?). Not another riding club - more of a show and shine club and a group of folks that appreciate vintage and interesting bikes. Please let me know of any groups or if your interested in joining one.

welcome in Orlando here by way of Detroit :wink: and i know of a group that gets together every 2nd and 4th sunday of the month in Deltona.. cruise the bikes section of Orlando criags list and there they post there stuff getting close the show dates... iv been looking to start some thing here also but not alot of rat roders or cruises for that matter buy me more of the fixie crowd...
but hey we can always start somethig or just cruise and hang....
again welcome..

Welcome & nice to see another Florida member, I'm in Auburndale Fl now but I used to live in Ocala around 1990 to 1995.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I just recently stumbled accross the Classic Bicycle Club of Deltona in a local Craigslist ad. It looks promising as a group to visit sometime. Still kind of far to hang out and wrench on bikes but cool nevertheless.

Also seem to be lots of fixie and trail biking clubs here but I haven't located the vintage bike folks yet. I guess collecting is less of a team sport than biking.

ragtops3 said:
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I just recently stumbled accross the Classic Bicycle Club of Deltona in a local Craigslist ad. It looks promising as a group to visit sometime. Still kind of far to hang out and wrench on bikes but cool nevertheless.

Also seem to be lots of fixie and trail biking clubs here but I haven't located the vintage bike folks yet. I guess collecting is less of a team sport than biking.
hey man iv been out to that deltona meet.. real cool bunch of fellas out there and some real nice bikes to boot.... i ride a lot every week end and im finding alot of others in to the old bikes also....and yea in orlando... :wink:

Hello from Cape Canaveral! (PATINA PARIDISE) This is a great group full of passion ! I really enjoy the no right no wrong way of the builds.real people real ideas I've learned alot full of info.I think you like it. welcome again Tom

BikeBuilders said:
Orlando here..... Metrowest to be exact. Would love to get together and help out on a build or something. I have a nice garage, tools, MIG welder..... This way I can learn or maybe someone can lend me a hand too.
what up.. im almost done with my CWC build.. what you rollin on? Would be cool to get a group together and ride on the week ends... i ride every week end my bro rides my camel back sometimes but most of the time its me and the schwinn soon to be my dog also once i get a basket..... but ye i ride all the time

Me and the Mrs have stock Schwinn "comfort bikes".... Nothing special. Cookie cutter. My 6 year old son has a Schwinn bmx and a Schwinn sting ray chopper 20 inch. Looking to get started building something cool soon. Getting tons of ideas here. Need to get some cheap (or free) donor bikes from somewhere and some scrap metal. Any ideas?

as far as starter frames what you looking for?? i have a few rollers a frames... i been hearing alot people finding nice frames and what not and the scrap yards i actually got a oretty nice ross step through 3 speed for a 12 pack of beer off one guy in line to scrap... :lol:

At this point, I just want anything I can start hacking, and welding just to get some practice. Wouldn't want to take a frame you might actually use for something. But anything. even have a plan that uses a 12" kid's bike as a donor. Where is there a scrap yard in Central Florida where I can dig around for bikes?

BikeBuilders said:
At this point, I just want anything I can start hacking, and welding just to get some practice. Wouldn't want to take a frame you might actually use for something. But anything. even have a plan that uses a 12" kid's bike as a donor. Where is there a scrap yard in Central Florida where I can dig around for bikes?
WOW there so many where i got my ross was off of Forsyth rd but ther a big one off Kaley close to I4

largek9 said:
Hello from Cape Canaveral! (PATINA PARIDISE)

Amen to that, Tom! I was born and raised in Cape Canaveral, and if the salt spray doesn't get you (and your paint and chrome), love bug season will. I was home in Cocoa Beach for the holidays, and the first thing I did was ride my bike down A1A from 520 to Minuteman for a drink with my mom at Johnathan's on Christmas night!

As it happens, I'm a huge geek for the space program, and I'm planning to customize my 1965 Spaceliner using the Saturn V rocket as inspiration.

Good to see someone from my hometown here!

Cheers,

Angela

Back