New guy, build questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I would like to say hey and that y'all's website is a great resource. I spent my teenage years riding a bmx/freestyle bike. As an adult I started riding mountain bikes then got into road bikes. My wife wanted a cruiser so we went to Wally World and bought a couple of cranbrooks. Well let's just say I can't leave anything stock and can become obsessed. I have some apes ordered and then came across another older huffy cantilever bike that I have started to modify. I will be doing a front springer and have been really thinking about a rear springer. Any thoughts, suggestions and pics would be greatly appreciated.

Skimmed over thread. Great ideas. Thanks. I'll read it over later. That's about what I was thinking too, I'm just thinking about going with dual springs but the concepts the same.

Welcome to RRB.
As Luke said, I did a 1939 Twin Flex inspired rear suspension for Flex-Liner 7 in build off 7 a couple of years ago. You can access the build and finished threads from my signature link below.
Look forward to seeing pics of your bikes. You should join the fun of Build Off #9 (BONINE) that starts May 1st.

Trying to get this pic downloading figured out. I already cut the cantilever tubes and rolled the rear up to lower and welded everything back up. Wire wheeled the decals off and started roughing up the paint. Ground off the cable guides and chain guard brackets.

image_zpsb3f3edd0.jpg

image_zpsfe55f0d3.jpg

image_zpsf6be615c.jpg

I cut the two small cantilever tubes where they connect to the drop tube and the seat tube. I split the bottom of the chain stays right at the bb housing. I put a bolt across the rear drop outs and ratchet strapped from the bolt to the stem. Once I pulled it to where I wanted it I welded everything up and cut off the excess cantilever tubes where they protruded past the drop tube. I read this on the forum here somewhere but I don't think they split the bottom tubes. I figured it would bend easier and if I had to weld two more welds ain't gonna make much difference.

And yes it's a 24 wheel on rear 26 on front. There just some junk wheels, I wanted to see how it looks. I'm short and I'm kinda diggin the way it looks.

Nice link and great looking bike, Love it. Fantastic ideas you guys have been giving me, Thanks a lot. I guess I blew the build off being I already cut and fabbed on the bike. Oh well, I actually have a 20' trike I thought about building for the build off but there is a bike festival here in Abita the Saturday before Fathers Day and I would like to have the Huffy complete so we'll see how that goes.

I was curious on how the the build was for. I may just be able to build them both. My wife is likely to kill be, being I'm supposed to be building a bbq grill too. So many projects. So little time. Thanks for the info.

Back