New from Sacramento/Davis area

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all, I'm Brian.
I'm here to share and enjoy the awesome knowledge this site offers. Also, I work in Davis CA, so I guess it's only natural to own a bike.

At work, I ride a ratty old bike that was donated to my building - an old Schwinn 3spd from around the 70s. It's now a single-speed after the shift cable assembly got all messed up years ago. It's got awesome patina, a few broken spokes, ripped up seat, squeaks, creaks, a big ... chain to tie it down, you name it - but it simply works and always gets me around. Love this bike, it's definitely what many would consider a rat bike or a burn bike.

Have a 2yr old now and the wife and I decided we need to get into shape and ride bikes with our son. So earlier this year after my father passed away, I took home two cruiser bikes he salvaged from a landfill a few years ago. I think they have awesome aesthetics, especially with the springer front forks, which I don't see too frequently in Davis. The bikes are REALM brand - couldn't find much info other than they were produced by some pro surfer in SoCal (?).

I can't decide how I want to change these bikes as I bring them back to life. Since I have two, I figure a nice savage "man's bike" for me and a clean bike for the wife would be a good start....or maybe convert one to a trike, who knows. Thinking a simple paint job and going through all the mechanicals would be a good simple start. Later on I will invest more in things like getting it a 3-speed hub. Like the idea of white frame with red wheels and black hardware (forks, bars, pedals, etc). Also like the idea of going "rat rod" - not sure what that means, perhaps knobby tires and army green paint? satin black?
Pics:
ZQi10Cn.jpg

l5mQESn.jpg

after filling up the tires for first time in years, it rode great, so wife decided to take kid around the block! I rode it one more time a week later, then the front tire decided to give up and blew a sidewall while sitting in the garage.
SAxnCKh.jpg

I also also saved my mother in law's old Schwinn from the scrap metal guys when they came to clean up their property. It's an old Schwinn Panther with springer front end. This one will take a lot of work, it was sitting outdoors for decades.
Pics:
tbbQaUG.jpg

Thanks for looking!

You have some cool projects to work on. Nice cruisers! Welcome to RRB.

Back