New from GA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, completely new to the forum so bear with me. I recently acquired my mother in laws old Stelber Deluxe. It's in decent shape (complete with the aircraft logo on the tank) but needs an overhaul. I've done a bit of research on these bikes and have discovered that they weren't exactly high quality machines even in their better days. I was thinking about fixing the thing up for my daughter who is in college and rides a bike around campus. Thought the whole granddaughter/grandmother shared bike thing would be kind of cool. I'm wondering now, though, if its worth the time and expense. It's missing the chain guard but I think most of the rest of the parts are there. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. If I posted all of this in the wrong place, I beg your indulgence. Thanks.

Welcome from a pretty new newb. Id suggest considering a new ride for the college kid- often they aren't as aware of bike theft as us old grizzled veterans- plus the old stuff, as cool as they look, are rarely terribly efficient for actual transport. You are surely a better judge of all these factors of course, but I have often gifted someone w/something that had special value to me but didn't necessarily fit their situation.

Hey hzsimms! I'm in GA too, in the West Marietta area, great to have you onboard!

As for the Stelber, before you do anything, I'd ask your daughter if she'd be 'into' riding grandma's bike around campus. If she is, then see if she prefers is 'as is' or if she would like it redone.

High end or not, the durability of the older bikes is undeniable (or we wouldn't have the survivors we have today). Also, if you keep it original and not 'look at me!' freshly restored, it may not be as appealing to thieves. Furthermore, thieves know bike names, they're going to be more likely to snatch a Schwinn, so that is working in your favor.

If it were me, talk her into the vintage look of the bike and spend your $ on the drivertrain. Snag an updated wheelset from the huge Electra sale, maybe. A three speed coaster is rather maintenance free (the local bike shop near campus can easily service it) and would make it a little easier to pedal around.

Post some pics, I'm sure someone has a chainguard for it, or a suggestion of what you could use.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Welcome to RRB from Savannah

Back