New Departure Model D Noise

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys - I recently tore down, cleaned, and lubed my first New Departure Model D rear coaster hub since I was a kid. Thanks to those who have posted excellent instructions and pictorials here! It's installed on my '59 Schwinn Wasp and apparently working fine, except for a snapping or popping noise that occurs whenever I stop pedaling. I'm guessing the noise is caused by the transfer spring. Is this a normal behavior of the hub, or sign of a problem? The last model D I rode was back in the '60's, so I have not much recollection of what it was like, except that it was fun to lock up the rear wheel and do sideways sliding skids down the length of our gravel driveway :) :) .

I will ask a couple basic things to get started

1. Did you liberally grease everything EXCEPT the disc pack (oil the disc pack)?
2. Are the cone nuts adjusted correctly? The wheel should spin freely where you cannot "feel" the bearings AND no lateral play at the axle.

Once these these questions have been answered we can dive in deeper.

Hi U.C.B. - Yup. I did exactly as you are inquiring. Ample amounts of high quality grease on moving/sliding parts. Finish Line teflon bearing grease on bearings, cups, and cones. Auto trans fluid on brake discs. Bearings adjusted and re-adjusted for just the right feel. This hub was in pretty good shape when i cleaned it up. Just a few discs had tabs broken. I replaced the whole set with N.O.S. Nothing else looked bad.

I have heard and/or read that it is a good practise to replace the transfer spring everytime you do a rebuild or service of a New Departure hub. I have quite a few NOS springs and would be happy to send you one if you would like to replace yours and see if that helps.

Crassly said:
I have heard and/or read that it is a good practise to replace the transfer spring everytime you do a rebuild or service of a New Departure hub. I have quite a few NOS springs and would be happy to send you one if you would like to replace yours and see if that helps.

Crassly - How nice of you to offer - I'm sending you a p.m. Thanks!

1. Check the chain. I might be twisted or bent.
2. Check that the chainring is sitting flat.
3. Check the BB bearings and cup.
4. Make sure the crank is not loose.
5. Last result it might be the clutch sleeve getting stuck when you stop pedaling.

Thanks for the checklis, axsepul. The chain is brand new (hopefully not messed up), chain ring is slightly bent, maybe 1/16 sideways runout as it rotates. BB is good and tight. I do think my rear wheel is cocked a little off to one side, so I will be straightening that out ASAP. To my ear, though, the noise is definately coming from inside the rear hub. Can anyone explain the mechanics of how the hub operates? I think I understand most of it. Pedaling forward drives the clutch sleeve into the the hub taper, and engages the hub, and pedaling it backwards drives in the opposite direction and squeezes the brake discs. What I don't understand is how the clutch disengages from the hub when you stop pedaling and coast. I presume this is where the transfer spring is involved? Thanks

If the clutch sleeve is worn out it will get stuck in the hub taper, so when you stop pedaling you will get that click sound as the clutch sleeve pops out or inside the hub.

The transfer spring acts similarly to a ratchet mechanism, allowing rotation in one direction and preventing it in the other. I'm inclined to agree with the view that your clutch cone is getting stuck in the hub's internal taper, or :? maybe you put the transfer spring backwards :?: . Don't recall if I ever did that or what resulted if I did, but I sometimes wonder if that's the problem when people have trouble with their hubs.

My limited knowledge and experience are working against me here, thats why I'm so grateful to all who have responded, especialy crassly, who is sending me a new transfer spring. I think I am also in agreement that the cone is sticking in the hub taper. but will definately explore the backwards spring idea also, once I get the hub apart. I will also pay attention to and look for signs of wear I might have missed.

On older assemblies of anything I am in the habit of checking for burrs; they will hang up fuzz from a Q-Tip if you dont want to chance cutting a finger feeling for them. They do indicate considerable wear, but once removed, and the assembly treated well, it often has a bit more life left.

Back