New Bike Hauler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the way home from the Midwest Bicycle Fest last fall my old International pickup bed trailer really put the scared in me by repeatedly trying to sling itself off the road and take my truck full of bikes with it. The next day I listed it on CL and sent it to a new home. That left me with only my '87 Dodge Dakota to haul bikes in. Four with out the topper or three with it. Not nearly enough room for my load of bikes headed for the Midwest Bike Swap next month. So began the quest to turn my truck into a bicycle hauling machine (on a very limited budget).

I started by trolling CL for a ladder rack at a decent price. Most of them were going for $100+, so when I found one for $50 I jumped on it even though it was for a long bed full-size truck. I talked him down to $40 and came home happy. First thing I had to do was narrow the rack by 9". Once that was done and welded back together I cut the front legs off and fit them into the front stake pockets on my bed. With the front legs in place I set the rest of the rack on top of them and put the rear legs into the back pockets. Once I had everything square and level I welded the front legs in place. doing it this way gave me the overhang above the cab I had been wanting.

2011-03-06164136.jpg

2011-03-06164125.jpg

I work at an aircraft factory and a lot of parts are shipped in to the plant in large plywood crates of various sizes. They resale the empty crates at the Surplus Store for really good prices. I picked up four crates, two were 112"x 20"x24" and two were 110"x30"x22", for less than $8. It just so happens that the width between the top of the ladder rack is 53". One of each size of crate was trimmed and fit to serve as the bike hauler while the other two crates will be used to make dividers/stands inside the other crates.

Once it is all finished I will be able to carry 10-12 bikes on top and 4 more inside the bed along with all of my piece parts to be sold.

2011-03-06155915.jpg

2011-03-06160045.jpg

2011-03-06160101.jpg

aka_locojoe said:
Very cool. You going to paint, decorate, stencil the sides or anything? Reminded me of the bicycle bus with all the bikes on top. http://www.goddessheart.com/bicyclebus/ ... story1.htm
Uhmmm...wow! Just plain wow. Just got finished reading a lot of that guy's web pages. A totally foreign way of living. He is hippie to the bone and his life seems a self made tragedy. Losing at least two children to CPS...totally living on the grace of others but yet giving back some in little ways. A very hard life. I couldn't help think to myself...his wife must REALLY love him.
So totally different from me...I feel really, really "WonderBread".

Cameron,
Don't forget to measure the highest point on the bikes when loaded and keep that number in mind at low overpasses. Probably want be tall enough to be a problem. I like your idea. I'm thinking about building a rack that I can use with either of my 5X8 trailers. One is open and the other is enclosed. I would like to build it so I can slide it into either trailer and make it so I can load it up quickly when we need to haul several bikes. I need to keep the rack portable because I use both trailers for other purposes. What are you using to keep the bikes upright?
Don

Don-
I am going to install vertical divider panels, 10" high x 24" long, that will be snug to the wheel closest to either end of the box. The panels will be adjustable as to work for lightweights to ballooners. That portion of the build will be tackled next weekend when I can get some time in my brother-in-law's wood shop. Pics will be posted then.

The first box is almost done. I glued 1" wide strips along both ends and on the floor in the middle of the box. These are spaced to hold the dividers snuggly.
2011-03-28115645.jpg

2011-03-28115655.jpg

2011-03-28115815.jpg

2011-03-28115824.jpg

The dividers can be moved to different spots to fit tires of differing widths as needed.

2011-03-28120204.jpg

2011-03-28120213.jpg

2011-03-28120217.jpg

2011-03-28120224.jpg

This system will allow me to load the crates on the ground and get the dividers set correctly. Then I can remove the bikes to mount the crates on the truck and just reload the bikes in the same order. Tomorrow I will complete the second box and be ready to go. The total cost of $70 increased my safe and damage free bike carrying capacity from 4 bikes to 16.

Back