NEW BELGIUM - EAT YOUR HEART OUT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
So I've been entering the New Belgium Brewery Felt cruiser giveaway every day for the past several months now. Labor Day rolled around and I never was called on for a free bike. :cry: :cry:

My Uncle Paul (Uncle Stretch) sends me an email yesterday and says that he's surprised that I didn't jump on the Felt Vintage Iron 400 Cross cruiser that was listed on the CL here back on Sept 28. I wrote him back and said I had missed that ad altogether. The ad was still live so I emailed the seller last night and he responded by saying that he still had the bike. Arrangements were made and I picked it up this morning...WOO HOO!

He bought the bike new back in 2006 and rode it one time and then it sat in his garage for the next four years collecting dust. There's not a scratch or a ding on the bike and it's about as close to brand new as you could get. After I got it home and gave it quick bath I took it for a spin around the block...had a big smile on my face the whole time. The craftsmanship and build quality of Felt's cruiser line is top notch. The Nexus 3 speed makes a cool clicking sound as you coast down the street and almost gives it a motorized sound.

Felt teamed up with a company called Vintage Iron down in California that specializes in vintage motocross restorations. This was the very first version in their Vintage Iron series that they created back in 2005. It is modeled after the 70s model Husqvarna 400 Cross which was one of the stars in the movie "On Any Sunday."

So here are a few pics of the beast...

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

The real version...
Husky-400CR-1970-2.JPG

These were supposedly run in limited numbers. I'm not sure how to decipher Felt's codes, but it would be cool to find out what number in the production line this was.

DSC_0038.jpg

The only two disappointments with the bike are that the kickstand is messed up and will push all the way forward allowing the bike to fall over. The other is the death wedge of a seat that they put on these things. I get the whole motocross loaf seat deal, but apparently they made these for people without a crack...ha ha!

Thanks again Unc for the heads up. :wink: Now I gotta sell some stuff. :lol:

Oh...and one cool thing I just realized...I was born in 71. :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
Sweet bike bro, I'd personally flip the front fender but that's just me.

Ha Ha...funny you say that. Apparently the bike store installed the front fender wrong and the guy reinstalled it the right way. :lol:

3326788107_191e2db20c_o.jpg

Man the ad wasn't kidding ,that thing is like new. I know it was in good shape , because you haven't had it long enough to do a super detail , and if it looks that good with only a bath , its really in good shape. If you hate the seat and will probably change it , then go ahead and send me the rims. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm glad it worked out for you.

outskirtscustoms said:

thats the way they made em with the flap up front... It was to keep the mud from my Maico 500 off the numbers ..... :lol:

Rat Rod said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Ha Ha...funny you say that. Apparently the bike store installed the front fender wrong and the guy reinstalled it the right way. :lol:

3326788107_191e2db20c_o.jpg

sounds like something Walmart would do....... :roll:

"The other is the death wedge of a seat that they put on these things. I get the whole motocross loaf seat deal, but apparently they made these for people without a crack...ha ha!"

Ratrod will be in spandex soon! :D The internal pants gel pad helps alot! :wink:

I saw that ad, and I wondered if you would jump on it. That is a fantastic bike. I hope you got a great ($$$) deal!

Terrific bike! I love the tank.
If I rode it with that seat you would have to call 911 to get me off of it! LOL!

One day far in the future my grandkids will be looking at Felt bikes the way I look at Elgins, Monarks and Shelbys now, they are that good and surely destined to be the next classic!

I think you're right about that.

In my days of buying and selling bikes I've had a lot come through my garage and I have to say that this Felt and my Electras blow away just about any modern cruiser that's out there. This Felt may even be nicer than my Electras. I was wiping the bike down today thinking about the detail they put into these bikes.

what a great score steve! :mrgreen: everytime i see a picture of one of those bikes,it reminds me of the 1973 450 wr husky i used to own 33 yrs ago! great bikes except for the startup process! :x stand on the left side of the bike,push the tickler on the bing carb,turn your right foot sideways and kick it without jamming your foot into the left peg! if your bogged down in mud,repeat the process while stringing together swear words in interesting combinations! :lol:

Back