Need suggestions for a beefy tire!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's the deal, my 380 lb. Neighbor has finally done in his rear wheel! I have revived it two other times and pronounced it D.O.A. when last we met. I have already found/decided on the hoops, but his tires are totally shot as well. They were nice tires, and a 15 lb. over inflation was a must just so he could ride! I would like to make a more enlightened choice, at least a safer more durable choice! Anyone point me in that direction? I will be using 1.50 x 26" hoops. Hook a bikester up would ya?:headbang:

Come on now, somebody got to know a lil sumpin sumpin! I seen some pics of our members. I'm guessing at least a few of you cats have had to explore this dilemma. LOL

Have you thought about building up Mongoose Beast or Dolomite for him?

you should definitely use a set of worksman wheels.

I agree on a good set of wheels. Worksman for a cruiser. Something of Tandem specs for multispeed.

For tires I recommend Schwalbe Big Apples. I have them on my Xtracycle and have overloaded them with little problem. My maxload was probably 400-420 with bike, rider and load. Be sure to play with the air pressure. The Big Apples can take upto 60lbs.

This website list lots of Schwalbe tires in the Big Dude Section.
http://www.everybicycletire.com/Shopping/s-375-big-dudeheavy-duty.aspx

Schwalbe list the weight rating on most of their tires.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/big_apple

Maxxis also makes some pretty beefy tires they offer most in 60 tpi(threads per inch) but do have some in 120tpi (mostly MTB tread). The 120 tpi should be more durable. Their Hookworms and Holyrollers are the 60tpi but handle the abuse of urban/street bmx.

I think Kingfish has very good suggestions. Walmart Beast for a very strong bike, strong heavy tires. Worksman wheel with heavy spokes and a tire off a Worksman trike for his current bike.

SlickRick, you're right in thinking that your friend will need to run a high psi. That's why I'm going against the general consensus here and suggesting against Worksman wheels. While the Worksman wheelsets are super beefy, the bead-hook on the primitive rim is only rated for something like 50psi. High-PSI situations will lead to the tire blowing off the rim. That ain't coming from Bike808; that's coming from Worksman themselves (although I do own some Worksman wheels, and I believe it.) Beyond that, I've found that steel rims tend to come out of true more easily than good-quality aluminum hoops. Plus, I see that you've already got the rolling stock figured out, minus tires. So, I'll focus on those.

I'm going to suggest Schwalbe Fat Franks, which are rated to 60psi but I pump mine up to 65psi without problems. Only had 1 flat, ever, in about 3 years of almost daily riding on the same set- nail popped thru the tread. The 26x2.35" size fits most cruiser frames, and will work OK with your 1.5" rims. (Schwalbe also makes the Big Apple, which is a bit cheaper, and says 55psi max on the sidewall.)

I weigh 250lbs, which may not be very heavy in the world of fat guys, but it's pretty dang heavy in the cycling world. I've had good success running balloon tires at/around max psi on Sun MTX-33 rims, laced 36/3x. That's the way I've been skinning this cat, but there are probably other methods. But if you want a durable, high-volume, high-PSI, fast-rolling cruiser tire, you won't likely do better than the Fat Franks.

Maybe, I put them on a couple weeks ago and only rode a couple times. I really like them though.

Thanks 808, you and I were on the same plane!
Less rolling resistance + stronger wheels = ride time for a chunky butt! Hey 808 I'm only 30 lbs. behind you, I know about stressing a bike too.LOL

Back