need spray paint help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okie, so ive been redoing several bikes. ive never had the best results in keeping the paint on after i get it all pretty on the bike. i use krylon and rustoleum cans. heres what i do:

sand whole bike with 400 grit
primer with self etching, several light coats till uniform colour
sand down smooth, reaply primer and sand again.800 grit.
spray several light coats of colour till uniform. 800 grit sand again
spray final coat.
i wipe down with clean rag after each step.

i usually dont use a clear because 99% of my bikes are flat, and i used krylon flat and it looks great. stuff wont stay on. any ideas about how to fix this? i have a limited budget and tool selection

question 2: i want to do a part flat/part gloss paint job and have it all smooth and cleared preferably.how do i clear the gloss metallic paint and keep the flat, well flat? and keep everything smooth?

I don't think you need the self etching primer unless you have it down to bare metal. I'm not sure if it hurts or helps when you apply it over sanded paint.

if you are only scuffing the paint then you dont need any primer at all, if you are scuffing black and going white then use a white or gray primer or your white wont be so brilliant. vice versa with going from white to black and for that case going from any light color to a dark color or reverse. Also a few companies are now making a flat clear coat as well like sensor said, I have actually seen a can of it at walmart when I was picking up some seafoam green. Lacquer paint will chip easier but give you a better shine, poly and enamels are more durable but are much more toxic. This is not good for me because I used to be an aircraft painter and have developed allergies to many chemicals.

Don't use Krylon. Stay with Rustoleum, or find some Montana or Belton spray paint.

I think a clear coat really helps keep it from chipping and scratching.

I spray painted a couple bikes. The color coat will chip off, but the self etching primer usually stays. Maybe another kind of primer between the self etch and the color would get it to adhere better.

Either way I think you need to use clearcoat, just sand it down to matte if you want a flat look.

Be careful with the new paint for a month, after that it should get hard enough.

Bettleguise said:
Don't use Krylon.

a clear coat helps keep it from chipping and scratching.

Be careful with the new paint
Look ma, I'm an editor! :mrgreen:

Bettleguise said:
The color coat will chip off, but the self etching primer usually stays.

did you scuff the primer coat prior to paint and did you wipe it down with some solvent?

Back