need paint help fast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, im working on this bike and had it completely painted and all was well, but the finish was slightly rough in some spots. i wet sanded the bike 100% with 2000 grit, let it dry then repainted. now several spots keep wrinkling up and just coming off like a .... blister while others are orange peeling! no amount of dry time, sanding, repriming (does the same with primer) or repainting fixes this. ... is going on?!? ive painted a dozen or more bikes the exact same way, same paints and all. just rattle can krylon flat black.

please help, i need to get this fixed by friday!

sounds like oils from touching it sand the crackled spots down bare, clean really good with a wax remover and degreaser, spot prime, sand, and respray it.

ill try that. whats something cheap and that i can get at walmart? i dont get how it got on there, unless it was from touching it, but my hands were all over it (the chain guard thats metallic blue is fine and ive had pizza fingers touch it before painting) before i painted it, it did fine. now that i sanded it, it does this crap. my bike has leprosy

i always used dupont prepsolvent (auto paint store) but wally world should have something, should be labeled as oil/wax/dirt remover around the paints or paint prep.

What are the environmental conditions? If it is real damp, like high humidity or raining, you can get things like that happening.

I'm fighting high humidity here right now but the symptoms are a cloudy finish (using enamel) and I don't see any wrinkling. I'd say traces of oil or the very worst...WD-40 :x ...like Jeremy said is your problem. Go to an automotive paint supply place and buy a quart of PPG DX330 wax, grease, and oil remover. Laquer thinner will work too but it will probably remove any paint/primer you have on there already. DX330 is mild enough it won't harm the existing paint. Do a spot repair just like Jeremy said. You should also buy a package of nitrile gloves instead of pizza for painting bike parts. :p Gary

Remember to shake the rattlecan frequently before and during painting. Maybe what happened is the can wasn't shaken enough when you went to do the touch-ups, when thats the case, the paint and thinner aren't blended enough, and the result is a high thinner to paint mix spraying out,leading to an orange peel look.(so does spraying too close)
Also follow the recommended re-coat times on the can. If it says re-coat within 10-15 minutes, do so. Paint needs some time to cure and to allow the thinner/solvents to gas out(evaporate). so if you had a fly land in it, or have a run, you need to give the paint time to set up before fixing it.
You dont mention if you primered the bike before paint, if you did, are you using the same brand primer and paint? I've seen funny reactions between some brands of primers and paints, so stick to the same name whenever possible.
Most of all, dont sweat it too hard man, this happens to EVERYONE sooner or later, its just part of doing what we do :?
Hope that helps,
Rick

i did primer, 2 different layers.

the chemical compatability should be fine, since ive used this same combination on about 12 bikes before this.

as far as the drying times. maybe. but the odd thing that doesnt go along with it is where its wrinkling to peeling is in the same spots and nowhere else. ones on the right dropout, one where the top and head tube meet, 2 on the bottom bar. the seatpost clamp did it a few times, but amazingly stoppped. :x

Back