need info on cheapest way to ship a bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bikers, need help on the cheapest way to ship a bike. I bought a bike off ebay and the seller listed $30 shipping for a Schwinn road bike. The seller wants to return my payment and cancel the auction because the shipping would run $130 using eBays shipping calculator. I said I would pay half of the shipping costs but how accurate is eBay's calculator and how can we ship it cheaper? All of your opinions are valued! Thanks, marvin

I've shipped a bike once myself. I got an actual bike box from walmart ( we know the manager, he gave us an empty box from one of the assembled bikes there )
I shipped a whole bike from Mass to Detroit, was only 30 bucks .
If he is trying to use a regular box ( i.e. big screen TV box or something ) the custom measurements make the shipping rediculously high

BikeFlights.com is the cheapest I believe. You have to have the bike in a bike box so the dimensions fall below the balloon charge. If you both happen to be on or near Amtrak, they are fairly cheap and have a box that allows you to ship by just removing the pedals and turning the handlebars. Good luck. Shipping a bike is becoming more and more difficult.

BikeFlights.com is the cheapest I believe. You have to have the bike in a bike box so the dimensions fall below the balloon charge. If you both happen to be on or near Amtrak, they are fairly cheap and have a box that allows you to ship by just removing the pedals and turning the handlebars. Good luck. Shipping a bike is becoming more and more difficult.

Haven't shipped a bike via bikeflights yet, but I got one shipped to me. Delivery was quick, and the seller said the charges were danged cheap, @$30 for a frameset/post/headset. So, maybe not the cheapest, but definitely affordable and probably the best place to start....

Bikeflights !!! Shipped a complete middleweight cruiser w26x2.25 tires but no fenders-- North Carolina to Phoenix, Az 46.00. The box was a bike box cut down to the minimum where everything would fit. Arrived in 4 days in perfect condition. Highly recommended. Regards.

Definitely bikeflights.com

This company has somehow negotiated very cheap shipping prices with FedEx on bike and bike part shipping. It's no different than using FedEx directly except that it's much cheaper.

Back