need help with an old seat tube

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, this is a seat post off of a 58 AMF Roadmaster. I'm trying to figure out a way to mount it to a regular cruiser seat without too much modification. It looks to be 13/16 at the thickest and works like a neck stem with a wedge at the bottom. I was thinking of welding a small shim at the top to snug up on the seat. Any suggestions on a solution?

AC13D7F2-F82A-42C5-A2B2-955A69E4F213-5472-000003EC77C59D33_zps9fab4937.jpg

cman said:
just find a seat post clamp from an old seat. Similar to this but not the price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Bicycle-Sea ... 4d09af429e

Put a wanted ad in the wanted section. Someone should have one for cheap.
Cman, I have the clamp also but was wanting to aviod using washers. What the heck, no one really looks under there right?

the smaller diameter clamp should work like cman says with no welding. Just change out the clamp under the seat.

I do it all the time, just swap the middle part of the seat hardware. 99% of the time the teeth line up perfectly and you tighten it as normal, no washers or shims. I can post ba pic if you'd like.

Where's the rest of the 58?

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot. I'm going to order a new seat for it. I have more time now since the tires I got for this bike are waaay too fat for the rear triangle. Bummer on that deal but they fit my next build, my Phantom, so not a total loss. I got the Kenda tires with the flames. A three incher for the back and a skinnier one for the front. They look awesome and I wish I could put them on this Roadmaster though, but not without modification to a frame I already powder coated.

looks like the thinner seat post clamp size thats still used on kids bikes. have a look a the really small sized bikes. tho a lot of them have the seat bonded to the post, hence no clamp

I solved the problem by getting a steel tube, same diameter as the thicker part and a clamp on the seat tube. Fits perfectly now on the regular seat clamp! I tried the old clamp with a standard seat but it would stay loose. This bike has been a bit troublesome from the start. (58 AMF Roadmaster) Nothing horrible but I had some tires in mind, but they were too fat to go on. The tank was so weak it crumbled in my hands as I took it off, now I'm making one out of wood that actually looks pretty cool. The kickstand was shot, found that out after sandblasting and powdercoating it. Put it on the bike and she just would not hold. In the up position it sagged and hit the crank. I finally backed off of this one and switched to my Phantom build. Sometimes backing off of something brings new ideas to old problems. I was just hoping to have it done for a local bike show so that was the rush. I'll have some pictures up shortly of both bikes. It'll be a few weeks due to leaving town for work training.

Latest posts

Back