Need help selecting..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJK

Reaction score
Ok, so here's the deal..
I progressed through a few MTB bikes a long time ago.. ended up putting city tires on them and riding road.. i figured that i should get a roadbike and get it over with..
I did.. and i loved it...
Then i stopped cycling as much.. gained a buncha weight and moved to an area with crappy roads.
I now am in an area with better roads and I'm missing the road rocket acceleration of a road bike..
thing is, i'm still hovering near 300lbs. Im afraid that if i invest in a road bike, the thing would be beat.
Im considering a new bike around 500 bucks.. but not sure what i need or want.
Im thinking of looking at those newish 700c flat bar road bikes.. or perhaps just a roadbike.. of course there's also recumbents, but i dont think i can afford one.
Im concerned with my weight being too much for wheels and frame and also leading to numbness and vascular issues (gotta get the right saddle!!)

Help me out if you know anything about this stuff.
-tj

dont know much bout road bikes myself but id take a look at bikeforums.net, they have a clydesdale section for the husky kids.

as far as bikes go, i believe electra townies and amsterdams has 700c versions in your ball park tho its more of a comfort/city bike style.

theres always RatRods Purple Varsity you could build up too :wink: (I think its on the choppin block anyway)

thanks!
I'll have to check out those other forums.

CCR said:
dont know much bout road bikes myself but id take a look at bikeforums.net, they have a clydesdale section for the husky kids.

as far as bikes go, i believe electra townies and amsterdams has 700c versions in your ball park tho its more of a comfort/city bike style.

theres always RatRods Purple Varsity you could build up too :wink: (I think its on the choppin block anyway)
I was just going to suggest that.
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248
If you're worried about the strength of the frame, you could build up a mountain bike like a road bike, I know that the tire selection wouldn't be as great, but some even accept 700c's.

If you want the bigger wheels there are allot of 29 inch wheeled mountain bikes coming out every year and there is also a 650c movement going on. All the big wheeled bikes I've seen can be run with or without gears and more and more tire options are coming out for the 29's. I think a mountain bike would be the way to go if you have crappy roads, those road bike wheels are so dainty. :lol:

more research needed.. but so far, looks like the Trek 7.3 fx or perhaps a Raleigh Cadent.. maybe specialized's Sirrus.

-tj

Not to be a smart butt, but being a fluffy fella myself at the start of last summer I could not ride 3 blocks without wanting to pass out. SO what I did was start off with an exersise bike, then when I was able to breath for more then 3 blocks, my wife bought me a new bike. Maybe you could just start with that, and then pick whatever bike you want?

Actually, for being as big as I am, I'm in pretty good shape.
I play airsoft regularly (like paintball.. ) and when i hit the gym, i concentrate on aerobic stuff..
I'm just looking to make it a "sport" to myself and not so much "workout", you know?
Eversince i was a kid, i've never had a problem cycling long distances... loved it!

So far, here's the contenders:
Jamis Coda / Coda Sport ($475/600)
Specialized Sirrus $590
Trek 7.3 FX $540 or so..
Giant FCR3 $520

more later.

Well, i need something light.. and I'd like a road geometry with touring wheel widths. Basically, most of the older bikes i've found are over-valued or junk. This is more of a utility piece for me and I'd be willing to lay out some cash so i know its gonna work for my purpose and not break or a be a pain.

Mastershake,
Do something like I have done. Get you an old Steel frame, nice componants, some strong 36 hole wheels. The steel frame an dwheelset will hold up for a guy of your stature and much more comfortable than aluminum. I only weigh 230+- and I hop curbs and all sorts of stuff you shouldnt do on a road bike. It may weigh a bit more than the frames today, but, whatever... just my 2 cents
001.jpg

66olds98 said:
Mastershake,
Do something like I have done. Get you an old Steel frame, nice componants, some strong 36 hole wheels. The steel frame an dwheelset will hold up for a guy of your stature and much more comfortable than aluminum. I only weigh 230+- and I hop curbs and all sorts of stuff you shouldnt do on a road bike. It may weigh a bit more than the frames today, but, whatever... just my 2 cents
Actually you'll be addressing TJK, since this is his thread, but yeah that's actually what I'd doing now, except with generally cheaper but still decent vintage parts.

You may also want to check out a cyclocross bike. The frames and wheels on a 'cross bike are beefier than road bikes and performance hybrids, but with out the weight of an MTB*.

A lot of the less-expensive 'cross bikes have chro-mo forks too, so you get a nice ride ride without the expense of a carbon fork. Alloy forks can be a bit buzzy (ask me how I know!)

The bikes you've listed are all good choices. Kona's are worth checking out too. Model for model, they seem to built a little more heavy-duty than their competitors. Granted they are heavier, but that extra pound or so doesn't really matter in the real world.

What's you're style of riding? I'm thinking that unless you're crashing into curbs,potholes etc. or getting airborn, you shouldn't have any worries with a good quality bike.

And that's my 2 cents worth - hope it helps :D

-Mp

* Yes, I know an MTB can be super light, but it requires big $$$$

Thanks fellas.. i'm thinking more along the lines of the performance hybrids and cross bikes for now..
I'll letcha know when i know.
I'm shooting for just after taxes.
Think i'll hit the LBS tommorrow.

Back