Need help on this one::: Flightliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help on this one. Just went and picked it up from my dad's old barn Saturday 1/10/15. This was his bicycle which my Grandma purchased for him from a catalog his senior year of school (1951). I'd love to restore it. But,, it is missing some parts. Since I've got it home and done some research on it.
I've come up with:
It's a Flightliner made by Murry ( Chain guard still reads Flightliner )
Has a bracket on the front fork for a Springer suspension. My dad said he took the Springer off cause he kept getting his pant legs caught in it. ????
He also said that it had a tank. But, the tank did NOT have a light in it like most of the ones I've been seeing on the web.
I've not been able to make out the #'s on the bottom of the Bottom Bracket. Going to try and get better readings tomorrow after work.
Can anyone tell if this is indeed a 1951 model without the #'s on the bottom ?
Also,, can anyone post a pic of a Tank without a light in it ? And,, if you could point me in the right direction as to where I might find a tank and what the tank looked like for that year.
ALSO,,,, I've located a person on this site that has a tank he's willing to sell me. Except it has a light in it. He's not sure what year it came off of though.
Thanks in advance !!! ;)

4Id40cNWTIwMemm75EJwpLt9uUR61sV8x3tM-XsheBs=w276-h207-p-no

Well,, this is what I've been coming up with on my searches...
Perhaps a prototype in '51 for the upcoming '59-'61 Model years? :21:
Seriously, I believe your Dad may have a bit of confusion as to when he got the bike, that style came out around '59....
How old is your Dad? If he graduated in '51 he would be 82-ish, if in '61 he would be 71-ish years old.
CeeBee,, you may be right. I'm beginning to wonder myself from all the research I've been doing. Yes, he was born in '32 and graduated in'51. I'm trying to sypher out the #'s on the bottom. So far it looks to be MOD 502-46xxx. I can't make out the last 3 digits.
I'll try and post aome pics tomorrow or Thr.
Thanks....

Here are a few different pics of the bike. Maybe this will help to clear up my quest as to it's year.
IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0669.JPG
IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_20150113_153137_247.jpg

Clear as MUD now... correct ? lol

Bendix one speed red band hubs came out during 1961, so if that's a Bendix hub, then it has to be 59-61 bike. There were no 51 Flightliners. Here's a deluxe 61 model, I couldn't find a pic of a tank with no light. The chain guard looks different than most flight liners. I can't see where the name is.

Maybe there's another bike in the barn!

18ja1k.jpg

Last edited:
That was a long time ago, I'm thinking that he's remembering a different bike. Ask him if he had more than one bike or if any siblings or other relatives might have had one left in his barn.

That one looks like it's going to be a challenge to restore. Good luck!

Hey Thanks Wildcat and TRM. I was telling my wife the same thing. And actually my dad didn't see me take this bike. I just seen it in the barn a few weeks ago along with an older Schwinn 10 spd that some other older gentleman had giving him years ago. I ask him who the OLD single speed bike belonged to and that is when he told me the story about it being his when he was in high school. He also told me that his bike had BLACK fenders on it when I was asking him about the springer and the tank. I told him,, no,, this bike has Chrome fenders. He got kinda quiet. But, didn't dispute my claim. lol So,,, I'm starting to believe that this is someones bike other than my dad. Because 10 years after he graduated he had been in the service and married with one son, one on the way. So,, this could very easily not be the 51' that he is referring to. I told my wife I seriously doubt that he was riding a bike in 61'. hehe
I didn't look in the loft of the barn as it is falling down and I reaally didn't feel safe in the thing the way it was.. BUT,,, now I'm going to go back and look in the loft. Maybe HIS old bike is hidden up there and he thinks I got it.. Or,, someone has stolen it in the years past and he doesn't know it. lol He lives about 5 miles from this old homestead barn. So,, that is very possible.
Here is a pic of the coaster brake btw....
IMG_0679.JPG

Thanks for all the info guys,, it's a great help and looks like it's going to save me a lot of HARD WORK trying to restore an old bike. I won't be messing with it most likely since it's not my dad's original bike from his hs days.

Good luck with the hunt for the bike. The one you have is pitted pretty bad, it would take a lot of bondo to get a nice smooth surface to paint. It's a good candidate for just a cleaning and clear coating, showing off the patina. Slap on some old rims and tires and ride it as a beater.

Thanks again Wildcat and thank you Rustinkerer. I think my wife has some plans of using this bike in one of her flower beds. :( Although,,, I was born in 59' and told her it'd be cool to have a bike as old as I am. I might tinker with it and get it road worthy. Do as Wildcat suggested and clear coat it. NEXT question for Wildcat. What is the process ( like,,, just shoot it over the rust as is or sand the outer surface and remove all sanding debris first) and what kind of clear coat ?? Many thank guys...

That was a long time ago, I'm thinking that he's remembering a different bike. Ask him if he had more than one bike or if any siblings or other relatives might have had one left in his barn.

That one looks like it's going to be a challenge to restore. Good luck!
This is one nice-looking bike you posted a picture of! Very nice.

Painted wheels? New Departure hub. Replacement pedals. A mystery bike. But began life in early '60s for sure.

Latest posts

Back