Need help ID year for my Murray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please HELP me ID this bike!
This is my first older bike. Can anyone help me ID the year of my Murray?
I think it's made for Sears, but I can't figure out the date. The numbers are on the back fork 502 46201C 13676Y ....So far I tried the information page, but was only able to determine it was made for Sears by Murray. How do you ID the YEAR ? :cry:
Thanks,
jimmer :D :?:

my%20murray%20red%20tires%20013.JPG

Re: Murray bike

nice bike ,i like wat you've done with it ,clean and simple !you can go to the " how to " thread you might find instuction ther on how to date your bike. :idea:

Re: Murray bike

Help ???
I tried to figure the date from the How to date posting, but was only able to verify that it was a Sear make. How do you figure out the date from the model numbers???
:roll:

I can relate to your frustration... Love your bike though. What size? Mine is a 24" and according to the link in the "how to" thread I have been told it is a '66. (My Serial #: MO 622X69 4029)

Mine has a chainguard that reads "Sportcrest." Have you ever come across one of the same model?

Here's the link to my recent (similar) post... http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26094

Good luck in your search!

It's a 1965. 46201 is the sears catalog #, and sometimes you can match it up to a specific bike in the catalogs. Yours corresponds to a bike listed in the spring/summer 65 cat. It's listed as a "Fully equipped midweight with lots of chrome". Had a slightly different tank with dual headlites, a rear rack, chrome fenders, whitewall tires, and should have originally been metallic red. A 65 would most likely just have the Sears name on it, they phased out the earlier JC Higgins name after 63. How do I know all this? I'm just that good! :lol: Actually, I have a book with a bunch of old catalog pages copied in it! Also, I think I have that same bike, though I've never checked the #s on it. -Adam
collection3005.jpg

Thanks Adam/rustinker for the information on my bike. I've had it for some 20+ years and use it always. This has been the first time I've put any real time or $$$'s into it since I traded for it those 20 years ago.

Here's what it looked like before the tires...All I did 20 years ago was put new tubes and polished the chrome and greased/lubed it.
006.JPG

Jimmer

Back