Need Help ID an old plastic model kit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this many years ago and never did know who made it or anything about it. It is made of chrome plastic except for the skull, there was a spike on top of the helmet that held the parts together. I cast this one from the plastic parts out of aluminum and just painted some of it. Anyone have one? What is it?
helmet2.jpg

helmet1.jpg

Hey Dan, i think my brother had this back in the 60s. Not sure who made it but I think it was the same compnay that made all them old pistol and rifle models. My guess would be Linderg or Johann. Very cool, but then what isn't (if it's in your treasures!).

With the Iron Cross, a skull, and a German helmet I'd say it's a German military fantasy item. The German helmets with the spike (picklehaube, auf Deutsch) were used in WW1 and before and were made of leather with a visor at either end. Like this one...
91755383_1.jpg

Your helmet is the shape of the steel helmets (stahlhelm) which first came out in 1916 during WW1, but they had lugs on the sides like this one...
810M17CamoHelmetleftsideview.jpg

By WW2 the lugs were gone and I guess yours looks most like a WW2 helmet. Here's a Waffen-SS helmet from WW2...
DSCF0476.jpg

The Iron Cross was issued during wartime only. 1813, 1870, 1914, 1939, and 1957, and was issued for bravery.
The Germans used the skull or "death head" (totenkopf) a lot in WW1. Just a little something to intimidate the enemy. "Mess with us and you'll end up like this skull". Here's a veteran pin with a totenkopf and iron cross.
92.jpg

The skull and bones in WW2 are mainly associated with the SS. They wore a skull and bones emblem on their hats. The skull and bones emblem, the SS runes and the swastika are all regarded to this day as offensive symbols in parts of Europe and elsewhere. Here's an SS hat pin. Gary

P1010006.jpg

xddorox said:
The lugs on the WW1 helmet were used to hold a big armor plate to protect against bullets in the trenches. The plate was at least an inch thick.

Yep, the plate was called a Stirnpanzer. It wasn't an inch thick, though. That would weigh a ton! Actually they are 4mm thick and weigh 4kg. Gary

I have an original "browplate" for a ww1 helmet the leather strap is rotted, the one I have is 6mm thick and weighs over 4 pounds, it gives a great pain in the neck when worn on the helmet. Both of my grandfathers were in the great war and gave me a few items that they brought back in 1918

gotavan said:
I have an original "browplate" for a ww1 helmet the leather strap is rotted, the one I have is 6mm thick and weighs over 4 pounds, it gives a great pain in the neck when worn on the helmet. Both of my grandfathers were in the great war and gave me a few items that they brought back in 1918
pictures please :)

gotavan said:
I haven't been able to find the original brow plate I have since I moved 6 years ago,

If you haven't seen it in 6 years, how do you know it was 6mm thick? :roll: Gary

Wow, B607 did an impressive research on the ancient military helmet. The helmets are artistically done and also you will notice the intricacy of the designs. It is amazing to think that they are all handcrafted individually.

I got mine from my grandfather who worked on a tank in wwii. This is one that he brought back with him.

helmetfront.jpg

helmetside.jpg

Latest posts

Back