need any info on schwinn (edit *hollywood) breeze

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wondering, i just started to get into old bikes, im used to getting about 10 murray montereys a week, lol.

i picked up an orange hollywood in need of a few spokes, but in otherwise good condition.

it was stored on its side under a house, so the left white grip is brown. anyway to clean it? thanks!

Re: need any info on schwinn hollywood

The first thing I use on grips is liquid dish soap and a nylon fingernail brush. That usually cleans most of the old crud.

Ok I guess I have made a big mistake......If my all time hero Captain Kangaroo said Schwinn's were the best than who am I to doubt them.If he was endorsing them then they have to be good. I guess ill be changing my collection now to some of those black or red Phantoms and such...Hummmm where did I leave my checkbook. :shock: :shock: :shock:
icyuod2 said:

Hey Uncle Stretch, if you ever get a chance to look at the book No Hands there is a pic of Bob Kesham (Capt. Kangaroo)with the Schwinn grandkids on bikes. Apparantly it was a Christmas card pic sent out one year by the family. I'll bet you those kids were envied by their school & playmates that year! :mrgreen: Later & PEACE!!!!!

Since you were seeking info on your Hollywood, a ser.# and some pics. would be good.It was a long running model and did undergo a few changes through the years and was one of the better selling models.Unless that orange is rust, pretty sure it has been painted as it was never made in an orange color. :wink:

no, its original. someone tell me how to post pics on here and ill send you some.

thing still has the original stickers and rolling pedals.

i usually use photobucket to post my pic's.

once you have an account, click the "choose files " button.
it will allow you to search through your pictures. when you find the one you want, click "open"

once the file is downloaded, just copy and paste the "image tag" (last selection under said picture.)

i never knew of an orange hollywood ? is it a repaint ?

blue, green, violet, white with pink

those are about the only colors i can think of that they came in ... maybe im leaving out red but i dont think there ever was an orange that i know of ?

i could be wrong, but im 99% sure this is a hollywood. if not, tell me!

IMG00459.jpg

IMG00458.jpg

and this is my old deka, i miss it
IMG00448.jpg

and now that i really look at it, it doesnt look like a hollywood. ....... straight bottom tube.

... is this then?

schwinn breeze :) color is coppertone, looks like it has a 2 speed hub too !!! nice score

yeah, for 20 its not too bad. what about the hub? theres no levers on it anywhere, nor what looks to be a linkage on the hub. ill have to go look more, but yeah.

nice tho. any ideas about year? rarity? and where i can get the right reflector for the fender?

should be a mid 60s bike (i believe a 64/65 though just guessing), get the serial # off the left rear drop out and well know for sure what year it is, the 2 speed hub shifts by giving it a quick backpedal (without engaging the brakes) and then begin pedaling again like normal and it will switch from a normal gear to a low gear. it will have 3 yellow stripes if it is one. the hub was worth more than 20 by itself if its working.

theyre not excatly rare (schwinn was making close to a million bikes a year at that point), but very good, strong, reliable bikes. as for the reflector, they pop up on ebay alot and someone here may have a spare to sell too. the reflectors arent that pricey but they are usually the first thing to get knocked off the bikes from smacking walls getting crammed in garages and such.

oh that hub sounds awesome. i love finding out random things like that. well heck, i want to fix it up now. im going to have to get new rims and put the hub into it, both are missing spokes.

is there bychance anyway to test the hub without riding it? the rims are a little on the shot shide and tires are just gone, so no riding for me

yup, just hold the brake arm and turn the cog by hand, simulate the backpedal with your hand and when you start to turn the cog like normal again you should notice the hub is moving faster than the cog (low gear), if its moving the same speed as the cog thats normal gear.

O.K. I'm focused on the info. request! Coppertone is the color of your Breeze, it is a lightweight model rather than a middleweight model which is what a Hollywood would have been.Light weight has to do with tire/wheel size, not actual weight of the bike.If it had to do with actual weight of the bike Schwinn would have had Heavy weights, heavier weights, and trackless tank weight! :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!

Back