Need advice.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2110.JPG
IMG_3391.JPG
I ordered a wheel set and tires with a Nexus 3 hub. The existing set will go on my sons bike that I'm putting together for him. He always rides mine now!
I shouldn't have any problems fabricating the shifter and linkage, I have access to machinery and a welder.
My other current project is a 1/3 scale Gatling gun machined from barstock on a Bridgeport and an old engine lathe.

IMG_3573.jpg
F28C2564-03F1-48BD-8367-D426FF122864-1161-000000B51A0A2FD4_tmp.jpg
I'm starting to formulate a plan. I ordered this Sturmey Archer shift lever that I think will be more suitable for modifying than the twist type shifter that came with the Nexus hub.

I also inquired about the dimensions for one of these toolboxes, I'm hoping it will fit my frame to house my battery and light switch.

Nice looking bike!

I'm the same way, I must have gears. One speed won't get it anymore. I've used the 3 speed with coaster on a few bikes and that did the trick, except I hardly ever needed high gear.
The 2 speed kickback hubs or auto shift 2 speed, with coasters, are another option that eliminate any cables or shifter. They look like a one speed but you get a lower or higher gear and a standard gear, depending on chain wheel and cog sizes.
My favorite shifter on the 3 speeds was the twist grip. On my old Schwinn I drilled a hole in the tank to route the cable. A stick shift would also look good on your bike.
View attachment 43925

Ditto on the auto 2 speed SRAM. Your bike has some really nice lines that I would keep rather than cluttering it up with cables
And such. Having one installed on a bike of mine now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still waiting for the 3 speed kickback hub from SRAM. I asked again last week, no news on it's release to the public, but it's used on the World bikes, and has a PTO gear for other uses like sharpening knives or what ever.
SRAM-World-Bike-Relief-Power-Take-off-3-speed-kick-back-hub-5-600x400.jpg

A big gearshift on a 3 speed will be great though! I'm waiting to see how it turns out.

IMG_3580.jpg
I'm toying around with ideas for the shifter, waiting on one of these to arrive to widen my options.

I have a buddy who is fabricating me an L seatpost at 50 degrees and 5 inches on top, 10 on the bottom. He is thinking of making some more and selling. Using heavy duty piping. Let me know if you might be interested and I will pass it along to him.

I have a buddy who is fabricating me an L seatpost at 50 degrees and 5 inches on top, 10 on the bottom. He is thinking of making some more and selling. Using heavy duty piping. Let me know if you might be interested and I will pass it along to him.

Yes, please keep me posted on that. Do you have a photo or drawing of it?

I got the Nexus hub and SA shifter installed and took it for a ride, I like it much better. Still waiting on a few items before I decide on how to rig the tank shifter.

View attachment 44549 View attachment 44550 I'm starting to formulate a plan. I ordered this Sturmey Archer shift lever that I think will be more suitable for modifying than the twist type shifter that came with the Nexus hub.

I also inquired about the dimensions for one of these toolboxes, I'm hoping it will fit my frame to house my battery and light switch.
Where did you find that toolbox?

Last edited:
IMG_3619.JPG
I think I've settled on this for my shifter. I just need to bore a hole in the hollow ball, attach it to the shaft, and fabricate a bracket to mount it to my straight bar. I think I'm going to put a fiber washer in the shifter itself to take up the wobble that's present as it is.

Whoa! Stop the presses! A 3 speed kickback???
I need more info!!

Got it mounted, tomorrow I'll shorten the cable & take it for a test spin. I think I may need to fabricate a shift gate to mount to the left top bar.
IMG_3630.JPG

Last edited:
I got it all hooked up and I love it! I also have a vintage HD toolbox like this one inbound.
B20DE42B-BA8E-46C1-A3FD-C91B55961429-3599-000003EEC4378E9E_tmp.jpg

Back