National Bicycle History Archive of America

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just wanted to vent about my recent catasrophe with http://www.nbhaa.com which I thought was a good site. I saw that if I needed help with bicycle identification to email them for help. Evidently that was a mistake and a huge problem for whomever runs this site. Granted I don't know everything about old bikes, that was more than apparent after the condescending, straight up rude dimeanor of the email. I'm not going paste exactly what they said but will say that they asked me why I thought my bike was what I thought it was and I responded by saying from what I've seen, it looks like blah, blah, blah. They made it more than clear that just because it LOOKS like one, doesn't mean it is one. I thought we were all one in the same here, I guess I was wrong. On another note, check out my hot rod clubs annual event in Portland, Oregon that is starting to have pre-1980 bicycle attend at http://www.rosecityroundup.net and I will post up more info when I get it. If anybody else had issues with this site or loves that site and the person who runs it, or you are that person, I would love to hear a response. I like to consider myself a guy who gets along with dang near everybody and lends a hand whenever i can. I am up to any links to HELPFULL websites that can help me figure out what exactly my recent finds are.

If you had done a little research on Leon Dixon and his site...you probably could have avoided a bad experience...go to any of the "collector" sites like The Cabe, the Schwinn site or any other and mention his name and there will be little complimentary feedback. He is what he is, he comes accross full of himself and that peeves everyobody off. This is fun for you but for him it is a business and there is no such thing as free advice. I have been told that he thinks he is the God of vintage and antique bicycles. When I got into this hobby, everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY told me to steer clear of him and told me tales of their conversations, email exchanges and such...much like your dealings with him.
Now understand that I am only telling you what I have been told over and over...in his defense, I have spoke to people (one person) willing to stand up for him. And I understand how hard it is to make a living in bicycles. He has or had spent considerable time and money putting together research materials and expects to get paid for the effort...too bad his gruff demeanor probably costs him much more than he could ever generate.

12bcruzin said:
If you had done a little research on Leon Dixon and his site...you probably could have avoided a bad experience...go to any of the "collector" sites like The Cabe, the Schwinn site or any other and mention his name and there will be little complimentary feedback. He is what he is, he comes accross full of himself and that peeves everyobody off. This is fun for you but for him it is a business and there is no such thing as free advice. I have been told that he thinks he is the God of vintage and antique bicycles. When I got into this hobby, everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY told me to steer clear of him and told me tales of their conversations, email exchanges and such...much like your dealings with him.
Now understand that I am only telling you what I have been told over and over...in his defense, I have spoke to people (one person) willing to stand up for him. And I understand how hard it is to make a living in bicycles. He has or had spent considerable time and money putting together research materials and expects to get paid for the effort...too bad his gruff demeanor probably costs him much more than he could ever generate.
Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the Lone Ranger here. I would have totally been willing to pay him for a non-Leon Dixon response. I've been trying to check out The Cabe but my computer must not like that site. I just really want to figure out what my recent finds actually are. Thanks for the response though.

Post up some pics of your finds. There's a very good chance someone here can ID them, and probably be happy to.

I posted something up as "Gotta love Craigslist!!!" under recent finds section. I have a variety of numbers I found on the frames. the girls bike I found has a "WG", "3.908A 257012" on the dropouts and the boys frame has a "4844 28" on the bottom bracket as well as a "MUIS W" AND A "MOD50 4780 9". I can't figure anything out.

The funny part is...IT'S ALL ABOUT BICYCLES....ha ha!

Makes me laugh when people get prideful about things like this.

Kind of like someone having an attitude about collecting Slinkys. :lol:

Rat Rod said:
The funny part is...IT'S ALL ABOUT BICYCLES....ha ha!

Makes me laugh when people get prideful about things like this.

Kind of like someone having an attitude about collecting Slinkys. :lol:

I can hear some douche snorting at some kid in derission: "That's not a real Slinky!! Notice the number of coils per veticle inch! HA HA!!"

sojudave said:
If it's true then I am sorry to hear about that dude. I guess there's one in every type of industry. He's the type of guy I love chopping up bicycles for. Cuz it would make his skin crawl.
completely agree. I found a sick ol JC Higgins on CL with the beehive springer I've been looking for but he wasn't interested in anything I had because he only collects prewar. When I told him I was going to use the forks for a boardtrack racer, he refused to sell it to me,so I had my wife get on the horn with him and mentioned nothing about removing the beehive and he was totally game for selling it. Taking originals apart to make one sick bike makes me all giddy knowing the response from people like that.

deorman said:
YOURS are just bicycles. MINE make the world turn and the sun shine! :lol: (God knows I'm just joking. :wink: )

Sounds like a local guy named Mervil Newlan from Lovington, IL. His bikes and parts are gold, but anything you have is worthless junk. Hope I outlive him...his widow's gonna have a heck of an auction. :mrgreen: Gary

B607 said:
deorman said:
YOURS are just bicycles. MINE make the world turn and the sun shine! :lol: (God knows I'm just joking. :wink: )

Sounds like a local guy named Mervil Newlan from Lovington, IL. His bikes and parts are gold, but anything you have is worthless junk. Hope I outlive him...his widow's gonna have a heck of an auction. :mrgreen: Gary
The BRUTAL truth!!!

Back